Depleted Brods battle for a draw

OLD Brods under 14s played out an entertaining 19-19 draw with their counterparts from Hull at Woodhead.

Brods took to the field missing five players on West Yorkshire duty, but could still field a solid squad.

They started off uphill and immediately showed their intentions with the forwards dominating the ruck area.

The bigger Hull forwards were outpaced by Toby Robins and Ollie Anderson on a number of occasions, which meant quick ball was given out to the backs where Alfie Blackhall and Reegan Hargreaves linked well and put Connor Pollard in for the first try, converted by Tom Wilson.

When Hull did get the ball some great defending by James Millington Peter Ashton and Oscar Mathers prevented them from taking any attacking opportunities until a pacy winger embarked on a great run to score bringing them back into the game.

Brods responded well as they worked their way slowly upfield where Corey Greenwood made a great individual break which resulted in him scoring at the side of the posts.

The Brods backline had now settled and some great interplay between the centres, allowed Blackhall to score a try of his own, converted by Wilson to open up a 19-7 half-time lead.

The second half saw Hull step up their game and Brods defended valiantly with Blackhall, Pollard and Alex Snowball stopping any breaks.

Hull got into the Brods 22 and pressured their line for 10 minutes and only a clearance kick by George Ayrton relieved the pressure.

This was short lived, however, as Hull recycled the ball quickly and shipped it out to their backs who broke the line and scored under the posts. Hull scored another quick try to level the scores but any hopes they had of going on to secure the win were ended by solid Brods defence.

BRODS under eights welcomed teams from York and West Park Leeds in a double header.

The first game saw Brods A contest a 4-4 draw with York.

Brods were penalised on a regular basis for not carrying the ball in two hands but good defence and a try a piece for Simeon Archibald, Jamie Scott and Ben Harrison saw the teams locked at 3-3 at half time.

The second half was a lot tighter affair with York again taking the lead. Brods commitment to secure any dropped ball was admirable while Ben Harrison ran strongly and from one such foray Matthew Briggs levelled the scores at 4-4. Brods had chance to win the game but were denied by a foot in touch.

Brods B were edged out 5-4 by York B.

York started the stronger and had Brods under pressure from the off with three quick tries before a break from centre field by Lewis Ounsworth pulled one back. Another try for Tobias Gibson made the scores 2-3 but York had the last say of the half to lead 2-4.

The second half saw a determined Brods put York under pressure with Rory Neal and Jacob Chadwick to the fore, Maxwell Malcolm-Warner picked up a loose ball in his own half and beat the defence to score a fine try and further pressure resulted in a try for Eoin Flaherty to tie the scores before York broke out of defence to score the deciding try.

Brods A returned to action to inflict a 6-3 defeat on West Park.

Although West Park had a lot of the ball, the Brods defence held firm and a strong burst from Ben Harrison cancelled out a earlier West Park score to make it 1-1 at the break.

The second half saw Brods twice go into the lead with tries from Jamie Scott and Matthew Briggs only to be pulled back on both occasions. However, Brods finished much the stronger with Matthew Briggs scoring two more tries with Simeon Archibald completing the scoring.

Brods B found themselves up against it from the start of their game against West park as they slipped to an 8-4 defeat.

Tries from Lewis Ounsworth and Lewis Kay kept the Brods within touching distance at half time after which Brods struggling to cope with West Parks fast, direct running although unforced errors didn’t help their cause.

A Rory Neal special and Lewis Kay’s second were the only bright spots as West Park ran out worthy winners.