Depleted Bulldogs complete impressive derby success

SIDDAL Bulldogs under 13s travelled to Bradford Dudley Hill with only 12 men but played their hearts out to gain a superb 26-24 victory against a much larger team.

Things started badly for Siddal as they found themselves 12-0 down in the first 15 minutes. They kept their heads, however, and a good break by Tom Bernard laid the platform for Jamie Greenwood to beat two defenders to score in the corner.

Dudley Hill extended their lead with a converted try before skipper Finley Hickey added Siddal’s second score on the stroke of half-time following good work from Connor Moss and Bradley Regan.

Siddal started the second half strongly with good runs from Jordan Patterson and Lewis Hoyle before full back Callum Holroyd joined the line to burst through and past the last defender to touchdown, Hickey adding the conversion. Hickey then crossed after fine play from Joe Brayshaw and Lawrence Okanga to tie things up at 18-18.

Callum Holroyd added his second try as Siddal led for the first time before Henry Turner scored after Bernard and Okanga had driven the ball in strongly.

Dudley Hill hit back in the last minute but Siddal were not to be denied their brave victory.

KING Cross Park under 10s made the journey to Knottingley to face the unknown Kellingley and carried on where they left off last week with an excellent victory against much bigger opposition.

Park started with a deep kick into Kellingley’s half and kept the home team within their 20m area with strong tackles from Jack Brook, Niall Green, Lennon Partington and Tom Inman, and the only way they could get out of their half was a kick on the last tackle which was returned immediately by Aaron Brook and Adam Horner.

Play was centred in Kellingley’s 20 metre area for most of the first half as Park piled on the pressure before the deadlock was broken when Aaron Brook found a gap in the defence to dart over and also add the extras.

Park found the try line twice more in the first half with Tom Inman barging over after strong runs from Will Hulme and George Gledhill, he also added the extras, with Luke Latham also crossing after good work from Emerson Bradwell and Connor Bateman.

Park started the second half full of energy and after strong runs from Ben Hellowell and Niall Green, Luke Latham claimed his second try of the game with Adam Horner adding the goal.

Park were now playing with confidence and they extended the lead with Will Hulme going over under the posts, giving himself an easy two points.

The try of the game was saved until the last set of six with the ball going through several pair of hands on the last tackle before Will Hulme produced a pin point cross field kick for Emerson Bradwell to out jump the opposition to score next to the posts and kick the final conversion.

KING Cross under sevens entertained Kippax in atrocious conditions and both sides deserve credit for their application in a 4-4 draw.

Park were first on the scoresheet with a long range effort from Cavan King after which Dylan Jowett crashed over for the first of his two tries after great work from Ben Hygate and Aaliyah Tooth.

Kippax fought back with a try of their own and nearly scored a second soon after but great defence from Harry Forster and Kia Holloway kept them out.

Park extended their lead with a great solo effort from the ever impressing George West. Kippax came back once again with a well worked try to make it 3-2 at half time.

Kippax then levelled the scores straight after the break with a well worked try.

This did not last for too long, however, with Dylan Jowett powering over for his second try after good play from Jacob Smith. However, there was just enough time left for Kippax to snatch a draw.

KINg Cross Park under 12s finally made it to the first game of the season after a period of upheaval and acquitted themselves well in a 34-20 defeat at Dearne Valley Bulldogs.

Their future had been thrown into doubt following a mass exodus of players. However, thanks to the merger of two teams and an active recruitment drive, Park were able to field a side

Park started well with Joe Stott scoring in the opening minutes. On regaining possession Liam Midgeley made a strong run and looked likely to score only for a knock on to give the home team the advantage and they responded by scoring an excellent try.

Park regrouped and strong running from Charlie MacParland looked promising but the visitors knocked on again. Bulldogs took advantage and scored after a strong run and poor tackling.

Stott and Lewis Colbeck linked well to bring down a Bulldogs player and Brandon Taylor picked up the loose ball and made several yards before passing out to Max Harrison who took the ball close.

The home team were unable to regain possession and Kallan Jamieson scored after good work by James Crook and Liam Williams.

Park then gained possession again after a Bulldogs man lost the ball. Louis Marlow ran from acting half and after making several yards passed out to Stott who crashed over as the half-time whistle blew.

The second half started well with Stott and Luke Saffa coming together to pull off a try saving tackle, but the home team saw the smallest of gaps and scored.

On regaining possession Rowan O’Connell made a strong run before being brought down.

Ben Burrows, Ashley Hildred and Brad Tattersley ran well but only a fantastic Bulldogs tackle prevented a try.

Bulldogs scored again but after Williams was brought down, Marlow passed out to McParland who crashed over.

Park reduced the deficit further with a fantastic Saffa try, but despite their best efforts the Bulldogs scored another two tries to end any thoughts of a comeback.