Disappointing Heath tied up in Knotts

Ian Downsborough on the burst for Heath against Knottingley
Ian Downsborough on the burst for Heath against Knottingley

Knottingley 16 Heath 10

Heath travelled to bottom of the table Knottingley full of confidence for their first Yorkshire One game in three weeks following the enforced lay-off due to the weather.

Absent from the line-up was influential playmaker Giles Hetherington so Karl Craven came into an otherwise unchanged line-up.

Heath had an early chance but Charlie Lomas’s penalty from the halfway line just drifted wide. Knottingley then had a penalty awarded for offside but their attempt hit the post and bounced clear.

Heath regrouped and when Dom Walsh and Lomas had cleared the lines, Wilby stole the resulting lineout to set up a series of phases before the referee blew for a forward pass.

On 15 minutes a great ball to Dave Montgomery saw him charge through but, with Ian Downsborough in support, his short pass was forward. However, from the scrum, Heath won the ball and Walsh released Lomas who went over for a try, which he also converted. .

This should have spurred Heath on but it was Knottingley who reacted better and they went over after 22 minutes for an unconverted try in the corner.

From the kick-off, Dave Puttick took a great catch and Heath were on the attack again. Knottingley gave away a penalty and Lomas obliged to make it 10–5 after 26 minutes.

Prop James Watson came on for Olly Cook as a blood bin replacement on 30 minutes after Cook had taken a blow to the face.

The remainder of the first half was played out in a lacklustre fashion, although the visitors had shown their superiority but needed more consistency.

The second half started with Cook coming back on for Watson as Heath began trying to play a much more controlled game. On 45 minutes Craven sustained an ankle injury so Gary Pidgeon came on to the wing in a shuffled back line.

A period of pressure on Heath’s defence saw them give away a penalty and old boy Mick Piper converted to get Knottingley back in the game at 10–8.

Heath then stood firm before Knottingley scored a try in the corner to take the lead for the first time at 13–10 with 14 minutes remaining.

Continued attacks saw Knottingley give away a penalty on 75 minutes but Lomas put the ball wide before, with minutes remaining, Heath gave away a penalty and when players questioned it, the referee moved the ball 10 metres closer to their line and Piper just put enough on it to squeeze the ball over to clinch the match.