Fine display keeps Brods on track for top six

Liam Scott
Liam Scott

Scarborough 20 Old Brods 22

Old Brods contiuned their recent good form in Yorkshire One with a richly-deserved success at Scarborough.

Brods kicked off into the breeze on a perfect day for open running rugby and with a playing surface in excellent condition.

Second row Pete Williams indicated his intent with a storming break supported by Sam Deacon and Josh Allen. The Scarborough defence recovered to hold the attack, however Brods continued to press and earn a penalty Wood’s kick dropped short.

Brods maintained the pressure and following a Callum Thompson drive Kivalu picked up from the base of the ruck and took several defenders with him to register the opening score, Wood missing the conversion.

Scarborough won possession from the restart and with their first visit to the Brods 22 moved the ball quickly through hands and Craig Farrell finished strongly under the posts to givefullback Tom Ratcliffe an easy conversion and a 7-5 lead after 15 minutes.

An exchange of penalties by the respective fullbacks saw the score move to 10-8 in favour of the home side before the increasingly influential Liam Scott took play deep into the home 22.

From the resulting scrum Scott again linked with Sam Deacon and the powerful Kiwi broke through the attempted tackles to stride over the line from 20 metres out and plant the ball under the sticks.

Wood convertedto regain the lead although Scarborough had the last word before half time with a further penalty goal, converted by Ratcliffe, making it 13-15.

The Woodhead men took the initiative immediately in the second half and after 10 minutes of enterprising play involving forwards and backs, Scott broke the line with a dummy and change of pace to touch down under the posts. Wood again converted to extend the lead to 13-22.

Brods continued to press with Jennings, Williams Thompson and Ward all carrying well. However, when Nathan Scott received a yellow card for an alleged high tackle Scarborough stepped up their efforts and took the game to the visitors.

Scarborough were camped on the Brods line and with the visitors defending valiantly Jennings picked up from a five metre scrum and broke the first tackle before striding over 50 metres turning defence into attack.

Unfortunately the ambitious pass wide to winger Sharples was the wrong option and the ball went to ground.

Scarborough were quick to strike back when a kick through by fly half Stewart was chased down by Farrell and the centre scored his second try to put the hosts right back in the game at 20-22 with 15 minutes to go.

Brods showed their mettle in a fine defensive display and closed the game out even though Scarborough nearly stole the game with a drop goal attempt in the closing seconds.