Fine second win of season for Heath

York v Heath'Ben Hinsley on his way to the try line
York v Heath'Ben Hinsley on his way to the try line

Heath notched an eye-catching 28-18 win at York after romping 18-0 ahead in the first half hour.

That was in spite of coach Dave Harrison having to make major changes for the Yorkshire One contest with Rondene Johnson, Fergus Marsden and Ezra Hinchliffe missing.

In superb conditions, Heath kicked off up the slope and were soon on the front foot with Matt Beasty winning good lineout ball and wingmen Matt Baxendale and Callum Harriett-Brown making strong runs.

A rare raid by York was defended well by Si Brown before Ian Downsborough won lineout possession and the ball was quickly moved to Harriett-Brown, who evaded the tacklers to score a great unconverted try on 13 minutes.

Heath were playing good, entertaining rugby and Mark Puttick made a strong run but had his pass intercepted.

Half-backs Dom Walsh and ‘Sid’ Sales were dominating play and York gave away a penalty in front of the posts which Sales converted on 20 minutes.

Continuing pressure by Heath involving Olly Cook, Chris Piper and Alex McFadden got Sales into position to drop a goal which extended the visitors’ lead to 11-0.

Baxendale was influential in driving Heath forward and the ball came out to Mark Puttick, lurking on the wing, who showed pace and panache for a try converted by Sales.

It wasn’t until the 30th minute that York mounted their first real attack. The ball eventually came out to winger George Davies, who opened the home team’s account with an unconverted try.

Baxendale made a superb cover tackle and Brown defused an attack but was sin-binned.

York came out for the second half with all guns blazing, putting Heath under the cosh and scoring their second try on 45 minutes.

Darren Neilly led Heath’s response, surging forward. A slick pass to Ben Hinsley enabled him to power through for a try converted by Sales to make it 10-25.

In what was becoming a see-saw game, York replied with a penalty and then a try in the corner with kick hitting a post.

Heath stormed back and when Hinsley was tackled high, Sales opted for three points.

After an even spell York pressed for a late score and Beasty was sin-binned but the visitors held firm with every player fully committed to the cause.