First half show proves decisive

A fine first half display helped earn Rishworthians maximum points in Yorkshire Three following a 37-10 success over Hessle.

They led 25–5 at the break but were not as assured in the second half as the visitors came back strongly.

The Copley men, though, had to be satisfied with a five-try victory earning them a bonus point.

Coach Damian Ball was pleased with the result but said: “We’ll take any win, but me must improve if we are going to do anything in this division.”

His team were firing right from the start and within two minutes were ahead. Fullback Aaron Canning made a break and earned a penalty, which he calmly kicked. Minutes later stand-off Luke Flanagan’s half-break gained another penalty and Canning doubled the lead.

They were soon further ahead. Matthew Hunt-Brown received the ball on the right wing. He did well to extricate himself from a tight corner and then round his man to run in behind the posts. Canning added the conversion.

Hessle then got back in it as Rishworthians were careless in the centre. Left wing Anthony Shoesmith though came off his wing and with a despairing tackle managed to dislodge the ball as the Hessle player went over the line.

It gave the visitors an incentive and they pulled a try back with a delicate kick to corner, well gathered by the left wing to touch down wide out.

The home men were soon on the front foot again and when flanker Ben Robinson charged a kick down Luke Flanagan was quick to gather and dart over the line. Canning added the conversion.

Luke’s brother Chris came on in the centre and was soon in the action intercepting a pass and then putting Shoesmith in to make it 25–5 at half time.

Rishworthians seemed to lose their way in the second period as the visitors started to dominate possession, but suddenly found themselves with a bonus point as lock Fraser Swarbrooke drove through, then burst out of a crowd of would-be tacklers and ran 30 yards to score. Canning converted.

Nick Faulkner, who had come on in the back row, was posing a real threat and got a well deserved try as he powered his way over for the fifth try.

The visitors fought back and scored the final try of the game, bursting through the centre.

A flare-up in the last minute was the only thing to spoil a competitive game.