Halifax flourish after break

Ever-improving Halifax under 16s produced a fine second half performance on the way to inflicting a 24-10 defeat on Skipton.

Skipton piled on the pressure for the first 10 minutes and although Halifax worked hard to repel the danger, from a scrum Skipton spun the ball wide to score in the corner.

From the restart Skipton kicked the ball deep into the Halifax half and a good chase put Tom Clee under pressure. He kept his cool and put the ball out to give Halifax good field possession where good passing by the backs allowed Peter Allport to go over in the corner to make it 5-5. Following the restart a knock on from Skipton allowed Callum Bowmer to spin the ball wide from a good Halifax scrum to give Nick Hoyle a break. He passed to Christian Coulson who looked like he had scored in the corner only for the referee Stuart Taylforth to call play back for a forward pass to keep the score at 5-5 at half-time.

Halifax started the second half strongly and began to control the game. Good play at the mauls meant Jordon Baldwin was given space to break through down the touchline and a neat side step and a superbly timed pass allowed Peter Allport to go over untouched. Tom Clee converted for a 12-5 lead.

Halifax stepped up a gear with Nick Hoyle pushing them further ahead at 19-5 and they were again held short of the line before Skipton made a good break via their centre who brought the score back to 19-10.

Halifax were soon back on the Skipton line with Elliot Hoyle having a try disallowed by an unsighted referee. From the restart the Halifax forwards once again showed determination and a good run by Peter Allport was stopped inches from the line. However, quick thinking by Joe Burgess allowed him to get the ball over, Tom Clee adding the final conversion

Old Brodleians under 14s booked their place in the third round of the Yorkshire Cup after a 17-0 success over Selby.

Constant pressure on Selby’s line, with excellent ball handling, allowed movement across the pitch which resulted in a penalty. Peter Ashton passed the ball out to Ollie Anderson and on to Tom Wilson who scored wide in the corner for a 5-0 lead.

Selby fought hard and attempted to relieve the pressure with a good kick downfield but Brods kept their cool, collected the ball and returned upfield passing the ball out wide to Hargreaves who crossed, Tom Wilson’s conversion taking the score to 12-0 at the break

The second half started with an excellent run by Corey Greenwood who sprinted into Selby’s half and set up some great forwards play resulting in a try by Luke Chadwick.

Selby dug deep and despite two penalties in the five metres zone and one effort held up, failed to add to their tally.

OLD Rishworthians under 13s produced a storming second half fightback to beat Harrogate 22-19

Dead and buried at half time, the Reds somehow summoned up the character to produce a superb, tenacious display which overpowered the opposition and ultimately won the game.

The opening moments saw Rishies with decent possession and ball retention in the rucks, but within minutes things took a turn for the worse. Harrogate managed to turn the ball over and the home winger sped down the line to open the scoring in the corner.

Both sides could not retain the ball and when Harrogate foiled a Reds incursion they counter attacked with speed from their own 22, and after good hands they increased their lead with another converted try.

Harrogate were strong in the tackle area and managed to offload at every opportunity. It was such support play that allowed Harrogate to score their third try. With a successful conversion the score was now 19-0 and things looked extremely ominous for the visitors.

Scrum half Will McDonnell had to leave the field with a head injury, so a re-jigged team saw Jacob Bower move from flanker to scrum half. The Copley boys did not go into their shells and at half time, even though three tries behind, they finished on a positive note.

Rishies began the second half with some excellent crossfield moves which took them close to the Harrogate try line. The forwards took it in turns to drive forward and they were rewarded when Tom Haley managed to scrape over from close range.

Harrogate managed to venture in to Reds territory but the ball was turned over and cleared by Sam Nunn into the Harrogate half but after outpacing the defence he just knocked the ball on. The ensuing scrum was turned over and again the Rishies front five took the ball to the try line where George Radcliffe burrowed over through a pile of defenders for the second try. Bower converted and the Reds were now back in it at 19-12.

The play was all Rishies. They gained a penalty on the home 22, and a well controlled driving maul drew in the defence, giving Jack Davis the space to go over in the opposite corner.

The visitors did not allow Harrogate time on the ball and the pressure caused them to make mistakes. One such infringement saw the Reds awarded a penalty 10 metres from the Harrogate try line. Sam Nunn took the ball at pace, ran straight and hard, and crashed through the wall of Harrogate players to score.

Rishies were now buoyant and they kept their composure to see out the final five minutes.

Much more Junior Sport in Thursday’s Evening Courier