Heath beat east coast visitors

Heath 30 Scarborough 15

Heath climbed a place to fifth-from-bottom of Yorkshire One, a good first half display helping them follow up their shock pre-Christmas win at Driffield.

Richard Cole began the game at fullback as the hosts awaited Dave Montgomery’s return from Scotland. Veteran Mick Gleeson retained the wing berth and Olly Collinge was on the bench.

Heath got off to a flying start with a first minute penalty from Charlie Lomas when the east coast visitors failed to roll away in a tackle.

Indiscretions and poor play allowed Scarborough into the game but Montgomery arrived and the impact was immediate. Mark Puttick appeared to touch down but the referee ruled that the ball had gone over the dead ball line.

When Scarborough were offside at the 22 metre re-start, Heath won the scrum and a planned move between Ezra Hinchcliffe and Montgomery allowed the latter to waltz through a huge gap and score unopposed. Lomas’s conversion made it 10-0.

The hosts were in control but a lack of discipline, compounded when they were marched back 10 metres for dissent, enabled Ratcliffe to make it 10-3.

Heath’s reply was positive, No 8 Ian Downsborough powering through several attempted tackles before sending in Danny Ramsden for a well taken try. The conversion was missed but Heath led 15-3 after 27 minutes.

A great run from Lomas gave the supporting Montgomery a chance. Whilst Scarborough saved a try, they gave away a penalty and Lomas made it 18-3.

A Scarborough forward was sin-binned for an illegal tackle and a great kick for position by Hinchcliffe gave Heath a lineout five metres out.

Lock Jamie Richardson won the ball and Montgomery was held up over the line but the referee awarded a penalty try with Scarborough offside. Lomas’s kick gave Heath a convincing 25-3 lead at half time.

Scarborough raised their game after the break, when both sides threw the ball about.

Winger Graeme Jeffrey scored on 45 minutes and Ratcliffe converted to get the visitors back in the game.

Heath’s pack had control of the scrums, allowing Hinchcliffe to spray the ball all over the park and put Heath on the attack.

However, Scarborough replied with several strong runs and on the hour the gap was reduced to 10 points when Matty Young went over for an unconverted try.

Heath had to dig in. Ramsden made several telling tackles while Downsborough put in some awesome runs.

Wilby followed a fine run with a slide-rule kick but Scarborough just managed to prevent a try.

However, Heath kept up the pressure and from a scrum the pack pushed forward and Moore came up with the ball for an unconverted try to restore the 15-point margin.

That completed the scoring, even though both sides continued to play open rugby, and Heath can look forward to hosting Ilkley next Saturday.