Heath beaten at the coast

Heath had to settle for one bonus point, for scoring four tries, in a 39-31 defeat at Bridlington in Yorkshire One.

The North Dean men travelled to the east coast without replacements, the late withdrawal of Lewis McKenzie meaning Dom Walsh came in at fullback with Si Brown moving on to the wing.

Heath started well against an enthusiastic home side but Chris Moore was off-side and the hosts went 3-0 up with a penalty after 12 minutes.

Three minutes later Heath stand off Giles Hetherington put a kick into the corner but it was collected by winger Stirk, who combined with full-back Zindo to run the ball back through a lacklustre Heath defence for an unconverted try.

Heath reduced the deficit to 8-7 on 22 minutes when Richard Cole released Dave Montgomery from a scrum and Moore backed up to score, Ezra Hinchliffe converting.

Brid’s Shepherdson was sin-binned and fellow prop Luxton injured but the home side still extended their lead to 15-7 on 35 minutes with a converted try.

The hosts were taking control and only a great tackle from James Watson prevented another score. However, Hetherington made a jinking run and Watson was in support but the half-time whistle blew before any more points came,

A Hinchliffe penalty for a high tackle reduced the arrears to 15-10 on 41 minutes but Brid hit straight back with a try, following a set move and some missed tackles from Heath. The easy conversion hit a post and the score stayed at 20-10.

A scrappy game came to life with Heath attacking in the final quarter. Hetherington picked up a loose ball and set off on another mazy run to go over, Hinchliffe’s kick cutting the deficit to three points.

Brid’ bounced back with a surging attack, initially stopped by a great tackle from Walsh, but scrum-half Robinson went over for a converted try to make it 27-17.

Watson and Moore linked well and then released Cole but Bridlington won the ball back, moved onto the attack, and scored an unconverted try on the hour to extend their lead to 15 points.

Heath were beginning to tire and Brid ran in another try, from Mellanby, which he converted to make it 39-17 on 64 minutes.

Heath had to get back into contention and man of the match Watson linked with Montgomery, who went over for a well-taken, converted try on 68 minutes.

In the final stages Heath got on top and the hosts began to look ragged. Rob Thackray stopped a promising Bridlington move and Heath fought back with good runs from Hinchliffe, Walsh and Brown.

A penalty against Brid was quickly taken by Hetherington and Thackray went over for a try which was followed by a great touchline conversion from Hinchliffe

Heath had a late chance for a second bonus point, for finishing within seven points of their conquerors, but a final penalty just went wide.