Heath forced to settle for losing bonus point

Ewan Miller looks to break through a Bridlington tackle
Ewan Miller looks to break through a Bridlington tackle

Heath 15 Bridlington 20

A youthful-looking Heath side took to the field at North Dean looking to build on two successive Yorkshire One wins.

They got off to a great start with a penalty after Cameron Ramsden was hit by a late tackle to make it 3-0 after three minutes.

Bridlington came straight back but sterling defensive work from the home side eventually allowed Ramsden to clear.

Heath withstood continuous pressure but when Ezra Hinchliffe, Peter Birkett and Sam Pollard combined Ryan Hunter was in support to go over for a try. A superb touchline conversion from Hinchliffe put Heath 10-0 up.

Bridlington continued to battle and after 20 minutes, following sustained pressure, the referee eventually lost patience and awarded B a penalty try which brought Brid back into the game at 10-7.

An injury to Alex Cust brought Koffi Brobbey into the fray after which a great kick from Hinchliffe, after good work from Ewan Miller and Stephen Hare, allowed Pollard to chase the ball down and Brid had to kick into touch to clear their lines.

Ramsden was involved in the next foray as he released winger Matt Baxendale but, with Miller in support, he was tackled and the referee blew for holding on. As Brid stormed back Heath were on the rack and their cause was not helped when Olly Cook was adjudged to be off his feet in a maul and sin-binned five minutes from the break.

Hunter, Neilly and Johnson were prominent in defence but could not prevent Brid’s prop going over in the corner for an unconverted try and a 10–12 interval lead.

The second half began with both teams fired up but on 43 minutes Brid were awarded a penalty for holding on in the tackle and increased their lead to 10-15.

Having 14 men on the park was proving costly for Heath,Ewan Miller, Pollard and Hinchliffe were outstanding in the backs and Mark Puttick, Hunter and Neilly equally strong in the forwards.

Brid were awarded yet another penalty but fortunately for Heath it was missed and on 57 minutes Baxendale and Cook were replaced by Josh Lister and Jock Edwards in the final throw of the dice by coach Kevin Plant. However, on the hour Brid went over for a disputed try in the corner to make it 10-20.

Heath responded and two minutes later were awarded a penalty but Hinchliffe’s attempt was just wide. Heath continued to press but dropped the ball at important times.

Sustained pressure eventually paid dividends when Thackray went over for an unconverted try. Heath tried desperately to create another try but time ran out and the home side had to be content with a losing bonus point.

Without a match next week the players will be looking to work hard and will be looking to get players back from injury before they take on Dinnington in two weeks time.