Heath have no answer to York’s power

Sam Pollard in action for Heath against York
Sam Pollard in action for Heath against York

York 57 Heath 17

Heath were unable to secure the win that would have catapulted them up the Yorkshire One table as they suffered defeat at York

Danny Ramsden made a welcome return following a spell in New Zealand and he was quickly into the fray with several crunching tackles. However, after York had put in a sustained effort over the first eight minutes, Kerr went over for a try which Johnson converted.

Heath finally got their hands on the ball, ably led by Montgomery with some astute kicking from Hetherington. Hinchcliffe, Thackeray and Cook went close as they drove down the slope. Pressure mounted and Montgomery rounded off a great move with an unconverted try to put Heath back in the game at 7-5.

Much against the run of play, York broke loose with a strong run from Nixon. He was caught by Clogher but managed to release centre Bradshaw who went over for a try converted by Johnson to put York ahead, 14-5 on 25 minutes.

For the next 10 minutes Heath were encamped on the York tryline but could not find a way through. Then came another sucker punch as York gathered a loose ball, kicked clear, followed through and Nixon pounced to go over for another unconverted try.

Heath needed to respond and slick handling on the halfway line saw Hinchcliffe put Thackeray through and he beat several defenders over 50 metres to score a well-deserved try toi make it 19-10 at half-time.

For the first 10 minutes of the second half Heath were under pressure but defended well. York missed an easy penalty when Heath were caught offside and this seemed to spur the visitors into attack. Great runs from Montgomery, Moore and Puttick set up an attack but Ramsden was pushed into touch.

York made substitutions and recovered to go on the attack again. On 60 minutes, Kerr scored his second try to put the home side 24-10 ahead. Brobbey came on for Pollard resulting in the Heath threequarters being re-shuffled and Dance took Ramsden’s place. Then Puttick was sin-binned and a slick move after 65 minutes opened up the Heath defence allowing Cakaunitabua to come off his wing and score under the posts. The conversion took York to 31-10.

Heath tried to respond but York were running riot and it came as no surprise to see No.8, Kay romp over on 68 minutes and the home side were in control at 36-10.

Hetherington gathered from the restart and ran to the corner and flicked the ball up but Hunter just failed to collect and the ball went dead. Heath were immediately back on defence as York once again ran the full length of the field and Roberts scored yet another try under the posts, converted by Brown. Heath were demoralised and 50 points came up straight from the kick off when Bradshaw collected and ran through a non-existent defence.

The visitors were on a hiding to nothing but they responded positively. From a maul near the York line, Clogher snatched the ball to go over. Hetherington quickly drop-kicked the conversion to make the score 50-17. Brown then came on for Montgomery but York came straight back with a try from Johnson which he also converted to complete the scoring.