Heath secure welcome victory

Dom Walsh and Ian Downsborough for Heath against Pontefract
Dom Walsh and Ian Downsborough for Heath against Pontefract

Heath 39 Pontefract 0

Heath picked up a welcome five points after seeing off Pontefract in a crucial Yorkshire One clash

Both sides were looking to pull away from the danger zone and it was the hosts who did their cause the most good with a fine all-round display.

Heath edged ahead in the 14th minute when Ian Downsborough caught the lineout ball and fed Dominic Walsh. He passed to Hinchliffe whose long cut-out pass put Matt Hallett clear for a try which Hinchliffe converted.

Heath looked comfortable on the ball with Hallett, Stephen Hare and Ewan Miller each having an impact. An off-the-ball incident on 23 minutes saw Hamish Pratt left prone and he had to come off temporarily for Darren Neilly to enter the fray.

Five minutes later Ponte gave away a penalty and Hinchliffe moved the score along to 10-0. From the re-start Chris Moore picked up and Walsh, Miller and Jack Sheldrake moved the ball to Hallett who sprinted 30 metres for his second try which Hinchliffe converted for a 17-0 lead.

From the second half kick off Heath attacked and within two minutes a tap penalty was taken quickly by Neilly who released Hinchliffe and the fly half sliced through the defence to score a try which he also converted to extend the lead to 24-0.

Heath’s pack was dominant, especially in the set pieces and the whole team was playing with much more confidence.

The visitors were under the cosh, giving away several penalties as they tried to stem the tide. The Ponte No.10 was sin-binned for speaking out of turn and the constant pressure produced another penalty for Hinchliffe just ahead of the hour.

An injury to Cook saw McFadden enter the arena then Jeff Jones had to go off with an injury so Pratt went back on. Three minutes later Heath secured the bonus point try when, following good work from Hare, Neilly got Hinchliffe away and he passed to Hallett for the fullback to stretch over the line for his hat-trick.

Heath completely dominated the last part of the game and were rewarded with a penalty-try in the last seconds to run out comfortable winners.