Heath show promise in defeat

Heath 17

Driffield 24

HEATH were forced to juggle their resources again through injuries but still produced a promising display despite falling to a second successive Yorkshire One defeat.

The visitors kicked off in glorious conditions and immediately put Heath under pressure. However, the home side withstood the early onslaught and with some astute kicking from Charlie Lomas and Giles Hetherington they gradually gained the advantage.

Heath were presented with the first scoring opportunity after seven minutes when Driffield were caught offside but Lomas stroked his 40 metre penalty just wide. A similar opportunity came the home side’s way on 14 minutes but again Lomas found the distance but the ball sailed wide of the posts.

Heath were beginning to string together some good moves with Rob Thackeray and Lomas linking well before the momentum was lost midway through the half. Centre Ezra Hinchcliffe was replaced by Lewis McKenzie and soon after prop Jamie Watson took the place of Olly Cook and made an immediate impact, winning two scrums in succession.

Hetherington then released Lomas whose kick through was just over the dead ball line when he fell on it, before the deadlock was finally broken on 37 minutes when, following intense pressure from Driffield, No.12, Murray dropped a goal for a 3-0 lead. That was short-lived as superb work by McKenzie, after a great tackle by Thackeray, resulted in a penalty for Heath and this time Lomas levelled the scores.

The second half resumed with Cooke back on for Watson and Heath made a perfect start. From the kick off a tackling stint from Mark Puttick, Thackeray and Luke Clogher had Driffield in disarray and Si Brown intercepted. As he was tackled, he managed to slip the ball to Hetherington who went in under the posts. Lomas converted for a 10-3 advantage after 41 minutes.

Driffield hit back when Ryan Hunter, after stealing a ball, was alleged to have held on to it for too long. Murray converted to make it 10-6 before, from a rolling scrum, lock Barrington, went over for a try converted by Murray for a 13-10 lead.

Driffield attacked again just after the hour and moved quick ball from a scrum for wingman Magill to score wide out, Murray’s conversion attempt hitting the post. Minutes later a blood-bin substitution brought Cook back on for Chris Moore and shortly after Heath conceded a penalty which Murray converted to extend the lead to 21-10.

Heath were not finished and Lomas made a great run before putting in a short kick which he picked up and passed to Brown, who in turn got Clogher away. Driffield gave away a penalty which was taken quickly by Hetherington. He sent Watson on a powerful run and the ball came back to Hetherington for Brown to put Clogher over in the corner. Lomas nailed an excellent conversion from the touchline to put Heath in reach at 21-17 with only minutes to go.

From the restart, Heath gave away another penalty which Murray converted to cement the win and for the next few minutes Heath mounted waves of attacks but could not find a way through a resolute Driffield defence.