Heath suffer Wath mauling

Heath’s hopes of making a flying start to their Yorkshire One season took a dive after they were beaten 50-6 at promoted Wath-on-Dearne.

With a much-changed side, and shorn of key-players, Heath began well with some good kicking by full-back Charlie Lomas. However, Wath’s first foray into the Heath 22 produced a try by fly-half Andy Barrass despite the efforts of Giles Hetherington to keep him out. Fullback Tom Quinn converted to open up a 7-0 lead.

Heath responded immediately as Wath gave away a penalty from the restart and Lomas obliged with the kick to make it 7-3.

Wath’s pack began to take command as Heath struggled to come to terms with the strong running of their forwards. Good tackles from Will Nicholson, Ezra Hinchcliffe and Ryan Hunter kept Wath at bay but on 20 minutes new boy Liam Sharpe was sin-binned. Chris Moore and Luke Clogher held Wath’s No. 8 up over the line but from the resulting scrum winger Steve Mason skipped round Si Brown and Quinn again converted to put Wath further ahead at 14-3.

A good tackle by Lomas prevented a certain try with Hetherington completing the clearance before Lomas kicked a penalty from inside his own half to reduce the deficit to 14-6. Wath responded and good handling had Heath defending. before prop forward Dale Harrison went over for a converted try and a 21-6 advantage.

Four minutes later Wath fly half Barrass made a try out of nothing. Picking the ball up on the halfway line, he slipped past three attempted tackles before touching down for Quinn to convert and extend the lead to 28-6.

Wath added to their tally early in the second half when Quinn kicked a penalty oand minutes later they won good lineout ball and surged over for Simon Lines to score a converted try.

Heath prop Olly Cooke was replaced by Jim McCready, but it did not stop what was becoming a rout as Wath’s Simon Butterworth scored and Quinn converted on 50 minutes to make it 45–6.

Sam Pollard then replaced Lewis McKenzie; Richard Cole came on for George Smith and in the resulting re-shuffle Dominic Walsh moved to wing and Si Brown to wing forward.

A period of even play followed but on 67 minutes Wath’s Gareth Webb scored their final try in the corner, Quinn failing with the conversion.