Heath work hard to share the spoils

Giles Hetherington on the burst against Barnsley
Giles Hetherington on the burst against Barnsley

Barnsley 20 Heath 20

Heath travelled to South Yorkshire hoping to get their Yorkshire One season back on track and finally drag themselves away from any possible relegation trouible.

However, they had to settle for a share of the spoils against a side anchored to the foot of the table but who had brought in five new recruits, including former Heath journeyman Chris Willett, in the lead up to the game.

The Heath pack were clearly the dominant force but it was Barnsley who put the first points on the board against the run of play after Ezra Hincliffe had missed an earlier penalty.

The lead was doubled after 20 minutes when, from a scrum in their 22, the forwards broke out and created space through poor Heath tackling, the ball going down the line to winger Taylor who scored an unconverted try out wide.

Heath were still stromg in the forwards but looking to make a breakthrough in the backs. A well taken lineout saw hooker Mark Puttick rampage up the centre.

When stopped he laid off to the supporting Giles Hetherington who got the backs into their stride with winger Dom Walsh sprinting for a well taken try converted by Hinchliffe.

As Heath worked for another score before the break a good drive from prop Watson had Barnsley penalised in defence – Hinchliffe stepping up to take the the points and moving the score on to 10-10.

Some slack play then saw the hosts given an opportunity for points, but Puttick chased back to drop on the ball over the line, saving a score in the process.

The first score of the second period went to Hayward who appeared at the end of a well worked overlap. This time Jensen converted to move the score onto 17-10.

Heath then made several attacking breaks, the best of which saw Si Brown just tackled into touch as the line beckoned, while further forays were hampered by basic handling errors.

Heath’s continued pressure produced a good break and the ball was worked back and forth down the line before Dom Walsh added the final polish to put his side back in contention at 17-15.

Jamie Richardson was then unluckily caught offside but the Barnsley kick failed to produce three points. A few minutes later and another chance came their way, Jensen obliging to put Barnsley 20-15 up with 10 minutes left.

A powerful run from Sheldrake took play into the hosts’ 22. Play moved to the top side of the park and Heath were well placed for points when they were awarded a scrum just five metres from the Barnsley line.

The powerful pack immediately applied the pressure and a good shove saw them drive to the line. A Barnsley infringement stopped a score but only produced another scrum in response.

Heath again turned the screw only to see another scrum awarded as Barnsley buckled. A couple more re-scrums came and went, until the hosts managed to kick the ball away and clear their line.

Youngster Peter Birkett then entered the fray and with five minutes left more good work finally saw Hetherington receive the ball and outflank the defence for an apparent touch-down in the corner, but the referee was unsighted and the try not awarded.

Heath continued to up the tempo and one more move down the line saw Dom Walsh on hand to collect where a neat sidestep wrong footed the defence and took hom over the line.

Unfortunately, the last chance for points was missed as the long kick just drifted wide.