Heath youngsters push YM hard

Jack Sheldrake scores during Heath's defeat by Huddersfield YMCA
Jack Sheldrake scores during Heath's defeat by Huddersfield YMCA

Huddersfield YMCA 28 Heath 10

Heath travelled to Yorkshire One promotion-chasers Huddersfield YMCA intent on producing a good performance against a free-scoring side which had amassed over 60 points in drubbing Wath in midweek.

Once again there were many changes with great reliance placed on youngsters, and the game was much closer than the score suggests.

The home side tore through the Heath defence after six minutes. Players stopped for a forward pass but the referee waved play on and a converted try made it 7-0.

Heath quickly re-grouped and when Richardson won good lineout ball, Downsborough made a powerful run to put YM under pressure.

Heath won a penalty and Hinchliffe’s touch-finder put Heath in a good position to set up the next phase of play. However, YM counter-attacked and on 14 minutes they went through Heath’s defence to score a converted try under the posts for 14–0.

Heath needed to respond and on 19 minutes a superb break from Hinchliffe saw him keep the ball alive for Jack Sheldrake to pick up and go over for a well taken, but unconverted, try.

A mistake by YM at the restart allowed Hinchliffe to find touch on 24 minutes. Downsborough won the lineout and Puttick had a good run to set up a scrum near the YM tryline but the home side held firm.

With Sheldrake making inroads, Heath continued to press for a try and Downsborough, Wilby, Moore and Watson were all held up short.

Watson suffered a blood injury just before half time so Richard Dance was brought on to cover. As half time approached, Heath’s back-chat to the referee advanced YMs cause 10 metres but their try-scoring effort came to nothing.

Ill-discipline from YM at the start of the second half enabled Heath to make a good, controlled start and on 48 minutes, Richardson won a lineout and YM were tested by Watson and Downsborough.

The reward came when Pidgeon charged down a clearance kick to score a try that closed the gap to 14-10.

Constant ill-discipline from YM helped Heath keep control and they went looking for a breakthrough. However,it was YM who created an opening on 62 minutes in their first real assault on the Heath tryline, going in under the posts for a converted try to extend their lead to 21-10.

A speculative kick through by YM saw a chase on for the try. Brobbey worked hard to hold up against opposition which arrived in numbers but YM scored the final pointsagainst the run of play.

From the re-start, tempers flared and Moore was given his marching orders along with two YM players.