Irish are forced to settle for draw

Halifax Irish under 12s let slip a 4-1 lead to finally draw a very entertaining game against Hebden Bridge 4-4, with Brooklyn O’Shea scoring two goals on his debut.

In an end to end start, Luke Samples hit a shot at the goalie before Hebden went close to scoring, hitting the bar.

Irish took the lead when Brandon Jackson broke through and O’Shea finished well for his debut goal.

O’Shea quickly scored his second to make it 2-0 at half time.

Hebden pulled a goal back before Alfie McGrevy stopped a Hebden attack at one end and scored after a scramble at the other end to make it 3-1.

Joe Batty went close to increasing the lead before Brandon Jackson did, scoring from a tight angle to make it 4-1 with only 10 minutes left.

Irish then went to sleep and let in Hebden to score two quick goals to make it 4-3.

Hebden then broke and made it 4-4 with the final goal. In the last minute, Jack Chesters ran through the defence but shot agonisingly wide to end a superb game.

Greetland Goldstars under 15s B made it three wins on the bounce with a hard fought win away at Shelf B 5-3.

It was the home team that started the brighter, but against the run of play Goldstars struck with James Dwyer slotting one past the Shelf keeper and they soon made it two through fellow striker Thomas Hales.

It was then down to the returning Max Swann to fire home the goal of the game when he lifted it over the keeper from the edge of the area.

Playing up the slope in the second half, Shelf caught Goldstars cold with an early goal.

That seemed to wake Greetland up and Hales stretched their lead to 4-1, but back came Shelf with two goals in quick succession.

Greetland made it safe near the end when man of the match Dwyer notched his second of the afternoon.

Brighouse under 10s C beat Shelf B 7-2,

Brighouse were on the front foot straight but it wasn’t until midway through the first half that they found the net through Benjamin Whiteley.

Brighouse were finally rewarded with a second when William Ottaway was on hand to round off another move.

A couple of quick goals for Shelf opened up the contest but Brighouse responded with a fine individual Sam Jackson goal.

Gaining in confidence, Brighouse’s Daniel Fahey, Jessica Bell, Will Thompson and Ottaway combined well to provide further chances from which Thompson netted four times to seal victory.

Boothtown Juniors under 13s were 9-1 winners over Crossley Swifts.

Tom McGregor opened the scoring for Boothtown after good work by Jake Tait and Fletcher Horsfield.

Mcgregor broke clear to add his second following strong wing play by Jordan Kilvington.

Crossleys scored when a break down the right wing allowed Kieran Sweeney to score with a fine finish past Bradley Madin.

Boothtown got control of the game with Nathan Field and Jack Helliwell strong in the middle allowing Nicky Meade to break down the right and score from the edge of the box with a great finish to send the sides in at the break 3-1.

The second half saw Boothtown introduce Callum Jackson and he was soon rewarded with a goal with a neat finish from inside the box. McGregor then completed his hat-trick, whilst Steve McCurrie added another against his former team.

Josh Langan then calmly side footed home, before Cameron Visciano was rewarded for some great wing play with a goal.

That just left time for McCurrie to add his second.

Boothtown Juniors under 16s were good value for an 11-1 win over Crossley Colts.

The game was only seconds old when Brandon Field beat the Crossleys keeper with a strong shot.

Aaron Darnbrook doubled the lead when he stabbed the ball home from inside the six yard box.

Ben Fox had been creating numerous chances for Boothtown and he beat the Crossleys keeper with a neat finish, before Jonny Higgings headed home a corner to make it 4-0.

Just before the break, a long through ball by Elliot Core saw Field break clear and calmly lob the Crossleys keeper to make it 5-0 at half time.

The second half was a similar story with Jack Pullen adding a sixth from the edge of the box after only two minutes.

Crossleys did pull one back after David Healey beat the offside trap and scored with a great finish past Aiden Robertshaw.

Despite the best efforts of captain Liam Metcalfe, Crossleys were unable to find a way past defenders Ben Heavyside and the impressive Jamie Randall and it wasn’t long before Field completed his hat-trick with a stunning shot from outside the box.

Field added his fourth before being substituted whilst Elliott Core scored a deserved goal following another strong performance in midfield.

Fellow midfielder Lewis Birchall benefited from a strong run down the left by Jay Cartwright to make it 10 with a great strike, before Aaron Darnbrook wrapped things up with his second goal, a curling left foot strike that gave the Crossleys keeper no chance.

More Junior Sport in Thursday’s Halifax Courier