Lumb’s strike sets up Cup win

BRIGHOUSE Juniors under 17s progressed to the third round of the Huddersfield League Cup with a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Mirfield opponents Battyeford.

Captain James Lumb fired home the opening goal from a pin-point Max Lister cross in the first minute as the home team swept forward from the kick-off but other than a Conor Durkin shot on 20 minutes which was saved by the away keeper and a Battyeford free kick on 40 minutes which was scrambled clear by the Brighouse defence there were few chances for either side in a tense first half.

The second half was just as feisty as Brighouse fought to protect their lead with Lumb, Durkin, Joe Baldwin and Ashley Johnson battling hard from midfield against a physical Battyeford side.

On 65 minutes Lister was unlucky as he headed wide after a super cross from the right by Johnson but five minutes later Brighouse found themselves down to 10 men as hard-working Durkin pulled up injured and had to come off.

With no substitutes the home team looked like they may be up against it but minutes later scored their second as Lumb brilliantly weaved past four defenders and picked out Johnson who hammered his shot past the Battyeford keeper.

The goal sparked Battyeford to life and as they poured forward there was some determined defending by Brighouse with Haydn Bennett and Joe Denford in the thick of the action.

But with four minutes to go the away team were awarded a penalty after Baldwin was adjudged to have handled in the box.

He was received a yellow card and the spot kick was squeezed in off the post past the unlucky Brighouse keeper Ethan Dingley.

With Brighouse clinging on, the home team had the chance to ease the nerves on the stroke of full-time when Lumb fired in a cross which bobbled around in the six yard box but the Battyeford goalie grabbed it from the toes of stand-in striker Daniel Lever just before he could get a shot away.

BEN Gledhill and Sam Nixon both netted hat-tricks as Clifton under nines A booked their place in the next round of the cup with an 8-1 success over Batley B

Clifton made a solid start with Bradley Hall-Crowther and Harrison Gilbert defiant in defence. They broke the deadlock with a fine goal from Robbie Thompson.

Following that Clifton got into full swing with Ben Gledhill and Sam Nixon linking up first for Gledhill to score then Nixon.

Clifton continued where they left off after the break with Callum Wallace pulling the strings in midfield while Gledhill and Nixon both went on to secure their hat-tricks, Hall-Crowther netting a superb solo goal in between.

Clifton keeper Levi Haigh pulled off a great save before Batley grabbed a late consolation.

Much more junior sport in Thursday’s Evening Courier