Old Brods produce stunning fight back to beat Ionians

Share this article

Old Brods under 17 Junior Colts produced a thrilling comeback to secure a 20-17 victory over their counterparts from Hull Ionians.

After an enthusiastic start Brods seemed to be playing most of the rugby but some lacklustre defence allowed Hull to score two early tries. This gave the visitors some confidence and they started to take control of the game.

A good break by Brods winger Adam Parkinson was pulled up by the referee who judged that he’d put a foot in touch before determined play by Josh Pickles and the rest of the front row brought some mistakes from Hull who eventually conceded a penalty within full back Nick Rawsthorn’s range. The first half finished at 3-10 with Hull looking like the much better side.

Hull started the second half with the same confidence and quickly got themselves on the scoresheet with another converted try.

It looked like Hull were going to run away with the game as the newly formed Colts were struggling to stick to a game plan. However, they showed true grit and took hold of the game in the last 20 minutes.

A strong run from Nick Rawsthorn allowed Brodie Wilson to crash over and following some determined play by the forwards Max Sheldrake broke free to score under the posts, converted his own try to level the scores at 17-17.

The game was interrupted at this point as Nick Rawsthorn suffered a nasty break to his wrist but on the resumption Brods stormed up the field and repeated drives into the Hull defence were eventually rewarded by a penalty which Max Sheldrake made no mistake in converting.

With just four minutes left Hull looked like they might make a comeback but the Brods defence was up to the job and closed the game out.

A MUCH-improved Heath under 17s side put in a commanding first half performance that laid the platform for their 28-12 success at Middlesbrough.

The forwards, led by the impressive Stephan Hare, did not take a backward step and won the game up front, allowing Peter Birkett to marshall the game from scrum half. 

The first try of the encounter came from Luke Matthews and it resulted from good handling in the backs with Jack Sheldrake running straight and off loading to Matthews to score out wide. Pollard converting.

The second try came after Pollard had pinned Middlesbrough back in their own 22, something he did throughout the first half to great effect, allowing the forwards to again win turn over ball and putting a few phases of rugby together before Ferg Marsden crashed over under the posts. Pollard adding the extras. The final try of the half saw the ball moved through the back line, where Sam Talbot put Kofi Brobbey in for another great team score.

Hetherington’s game plan had worked fantastically well. The forwards had won every battle and this allowed the team to play some expansive rugby.

The second half saw Middlesbrough with the wind at their backs playing down the slope and kicking out of their own 22, to relieve Heath’s pressure. Lewis McKenzie, Heath’s man of the match, almost single handedly defended against this kicking game, relentlessly taking the ball back to them. Tom Kilner, Lewis Foxton and Brad Davies making some exceptional tackles.

However, the hosts scored two late tries and Heath wasted a number of opportunities, with over-elaborate plays.

POOR discipline cost Old Rishworthians under 16s the game as they fell to a 14-0 home defeat at the hands of Cleckheaton.

Rishworthians started well and defended strongly against a good Cleck pack. The breakthrough came when Cleckheaton managed to recycle the ball on the 22 and after a long period of possession they got it out to their backs for their centre to break through the Rishies back line only to be dragged down short of the line. However, a good pick and go by one of their forwards proved too difficult to bring down and he went in for the try converted by the fly half.

Rish were fired up and this showed with big hits coming from scrum half Liam Phillips and number 8 Rob Varela. But the poor discipline showed again and Varela was sin binned for a high tackle.

After a short period on the back foot Rish then got the ball into the backs and fantastic running from James Gill almost produced a try but he was tackled just inside the 22. Rishworthians always looked like they were going to score but failed to turn pressure into points and their frustration told when they had a player sent off following a scuffle.

There was nothing between the two sides for much of the second half. There were, however, a few chances on both sides as again the Rish centres combined well to break the line but were unable to cross the try line.

The extra man eventually told and the Cleckheaton winger managed to make a break in the space out wide and score a converted try under the posts to complete the scoring.

More Junior Sport in Thursday’s Courier