Outstanding Siddal reclaim cup with derby win in final

Siddal under 16’s retained the West Riding Cup they won at Under 15 level, running out 56-0 winners following an outstanding display against local rivals King Cross.

A good set of defensive tackles kept King Cross in their own 20 metre area forcing them to kick deep. Full back Josh Dean ran the ball back but too close to the touch line and he was bundled into touch.

King Cross could not take advantage and an error gave possession back to Siddal. Canaan Smithies drove the ball in hard and Kruise Leeming showed great strength and speed to break through the defence.

Robert Holroyd then barged his way to the line and as several defenders tried to stop him he offloaded to the supporting Joel McFarlane who dived over in the corner to give his side an early lead.

Holroyd, Tyler Dickinson and Aiden Hema made some strong defensive hits to lead the way while every Siddal player looked to break the King Cross defensive line and scoring opportunities were wasted with unforced errors close to the line.

King Cross got to the halfway line and a high deep kick was recovered by their winger Saltonstall who wriggled over for a try which was disallowed for offside as he was in front of the kicker.

Holroyd’s typical bruising charge to halfway was followed by Leeming’s spectacular solo effort as he broke free from several would be tacklers and weaved his way over for a try that he also converted.

The next score came from an error from King Cross who kicked out of play on the full inside their own 20 metre area, Holroyd, Dickinson and Ettenfield all went close to scoring before the ball was spread to the left side where Smithies forced his way over with Leeming adding the extras.

Leeming’s next involvement was scampering over unopposed from five metres out after good work from Holroyd and Harry Craze.

The final score of a near perfect first half went to Leeming who completed his hat-trick by following up Jordan Moana’s burst and scooted over from close range, the conversion making the half-time score 28-0.

Any thoughts King Cross had of getting into the final were crushed with the very first play of the second half, Zack McComb ran through the heart of the defence and Dickinson was then tackled short of the line.

But replacement prop Louis Hobbs charged over under the posts from close range leaving Leeming with a simple conversion.

Frustration was setting in or King Cross and after conceding a penalty for punching in the tackle Dickinson ran over for a deserved try.

Strong work from the Siddal forwards paved the way for McComb to continue the rout when he found a gap 20 metres out and sprinted over.

The score that brought up the 50 point mark was one of real quality. Dominating runs from the Siddal pack allowed Timmins the space to put in a perfectly weighted kick to the corner which was pounced upon by substitute winger Ben West, Leeming adding the two points from the touchline.

The final score came after a big defensive hit from Hema forced a fumble, Reece Burke and McFarlane made inroads into the King Cross half and the rampaging Holroyd scored the final try under the posts with Leeming again kicking a simple conversion.