Packed house sees eight Halifax victors

Halifax Police Boxing Club’s latest sell-out show produced eight home club wins and five defeats at their Ladyship Mills base.

The 13-bout show attracted more than 300 people, including local dignitaries and members of the fire and police services.

The evening started on a reflective note with a minute’s silence, followed by 10 chimes of the ringside bell, in memory of Gordon Jones who had died a week earlier.

Jones was a formidable Halifax boxer, reputedly having 200 fights and losing only 10. He went on to set up and run the Star Boxing Club, which was held in high esteem and trained many champions.

Twelve-year-old Arron Greenwood set the ball rolling for Halifax Police with a great victory over Kia Green from Manchester Hyde in the opening bout.

The club’s other wins came from Jakub Danihel (against Jake Lee from Burnley), Matthew Crouch (against Rajan Singh Gosal from Gladiators), Miroslav Tomsa (against Bilal Nadim from Round One), Shamraz Maskeen (against R Pearson from Scunthorpe), Kyle Scully (against Rafi Hussain from Olympian), Charlene Milligan (against Anna Cresswell from Blackrod) and Josh Armstead (against Billy Yip from Kellys).

The defeated home club fighters were Alex Hanson (against Owais Liaqat from Cleckheaton), Bradley Jennings (against James Attenborough-Lee from Hope), Chris Godridge (against Liam Jones from Hyde District), Sam Abbott (against Tom Kay from Blackrod) and Keaon Holdsworth (against George Martingale from Blackrod).

The club’s Mick Rowe said: “It was a fantastic night. Although we lost a few bouts, they were all difficult fights for the Halifax lads and they put in 100 per cent so we’re really proud. “

Halifax Police BC’s Jimmy First was beaten in the Yorkshire ABA semi-finals at Sheffield on Tuesday.

He lost to Hebden Bridge ABC’s Luke Keliher in a close contest.

The club will still be represented on Thursday, March 7 by reigning champion Vinny Atkins, who will face Richard Osbourne of Parsons Cross after his semi-final opponent, Paul Gordon from York pulled out at the last minute.