Rishies hit the bullseye

James Clarke was prominent in an excellent pack display
James Clarke was prominent in an excellent pack display

Old Rishworthians sent out a “we’re here to stay” statement to the rest of Yorkshire Two with a thumping 50-17 home win over Moortown.

Their best display of the season yielded their highest points score in the division and also saw them move nearer safety.

On a pudding-like pitch, the expected forward battle never materialised as the home side ran the ball at every opportunity and might have scored more than their seven tries.

The whole of the pack were outstanding in the loose and Moortown seemed unable to get to grips with the way the ball was moved around the pitch.

Rishworthians were on top from the outset with strong running from No 8 James Clarke and locks Jioti Bakoso and Frank Watene.

It brought a penalty which fullback Joe Billing kicked for an early lead.

Then left wing Anthony Shoesmith made good ground from a poor clearance kick and scrum half Gary Morris kicked ahead to set up a lineout.

Flanker Fraser Swarbrooke won good possession from the throw and was driven forward by the pack with prop Reuben Pollard emerging to barge over. Billing converted.

Right wing Rhys Town went over after a flowing move, only to be called back for an earlier infringement, and the home men were further hit by a Moortown try from an interception.

Undeterred, they came back as Swarbrooke won another good lineout and Watene made a break to put supporting player-coach Damian Ball in near the posts. Billing converted.

More good running and interplay between Shoesmith, Billing and replacement Gerard Rollings ended with flanker Chris Dyson touching down. Billing converted and Rishworthians ended the half leading 24-5.

The visitors opened the second half strongly but were soon pegged back.

Dyson, as he did all game, showed great pace, particularly chasing kicks and tackling the catcher, and once Rishworthians got the ball, they always looked likely to score.

Centre Kurt Sutcliffe made a fine break, linking with Billing and Town, before hooker Simon Edmundson dived over in the corner. Billing missed the conversion in an otherwise immaculate kicking display, landing his other seven attempts.

Straight from the restart Watene gathered and drove forward before putting Shoesmith away. He passed inside for Sutcliffe to cruise over. Billing converted.

A fine move in the backs then set up the position for Ball to dart through and touch down. Billing added the conversion.

Moortown got a second score as their left wing snapped up a loose ball and ran through for a converted try.

Rishworthians came straight back. Rollings, Sutcliffe and Clarke took the ball on before it came out for centre Chris Flanagan to score. Billing brought up the 50 points with the conversion.

With the last move of the game the visitors broke from near their line to run in a consolation try in the corner.

Rishworthians’ seconds beat Ossett seconds 23-7 with tries by Liam Phillips and Alex Kindred, two conversions and a penalty by Wes Aldridge and two further penalties by Josh Kelly.