Rishworthians move up a gear

Goole 20 Old Rishworthians 38

Rishworthians hit back from 13-11 down at half time to comfortably beat second-placed Goole and move 15 points clear at the top of Yorkshire Three.

Damian Ball’s visitors found themselves three points down to an early Goole penalty.

They were battling a much heavier pack and were forced to defend for much of the first half but made good use of what ball they had.

When Goole returned a Ball kick, it was gathered by Joe Billing, who immediately fed Ball. Goole were forced to concede a penalty and Aaron Canning’s kick levelled the score.

From the restart Canning made a break from deep and fed lock Harry Collett. He powered through the home defence before popping the ball up to the supporting Billing, who touched down in the corner for an unconverted try.
Following a number of penalties awarded to the home side, the result of poor discipline, Goole reduced the deficit to 6-8.

The home side maintained the pressure and eventually break the Rishworthians’ defence with a converted try under the posts.

In a rare visit upfield the visitors won a penalty which was successfully kicked by Canning.
With the light fading and floodlights on, the Rishworthians’ pack, with James Clarke and Joe Bakosu introduced late in the first half, began to control the scrums, rucks and mauls.

Kicking from deep in Rishworthians’ half, Jamie Bloem created an attacking position. Chris Dyson and Bloem moved the ball wide to Billing, who crossed for his second try. This was converted by Canning to put the visitors into the lead.
Shortly after the restart Rishworthians pressure forced the home side to concede a penalty, converted by Canning.

With the visitors now looking strong in all departments, and the home forwards less so, a kick to touch, just short of the visitors’ 22, was gathered by Billing and fed to Dyson. The ball was slipped in turn to Ball, who sent Kurt Sutcliffe away from the home defence for an unconverted try.
Rishworthians were forced again into a period of defending, which they executed superbly.

Anthony Shoesmith, under significant pressure, called a mark and from the resulting kick to touch, the lineout was won by Dyson. The ball was fed through swift hands to stand off Luke Flanagan, who raced half the length of the field to touch down.

Pressure from Goole resulted in a converted home try to finish the game but the final score reflected Rishworthians’ outstanding second half performance.