Rishworthians suffer another late defeat

Joe Billing
Joe Billing

Goole 17 Old Rishworthians 16

It was another late loss by the narrowest of margins for Rishworthians, in a game which again looked like bringing them a hard-fought victory.

Once flanker Chris Dyson had given them the lead on the stroke of half-time, it looked as in their last two games, as if they might be on their way to the points.

But they allowed the home pack to take control of much of the second half and had to defend well, until, down to 14 men they conceded a converted try.

They can look to being on the wrong side of controversial decisions, but still had opportunities to win the match.

Rishworthians started the game well and a box kick from Josh Kelly led to a penalty for Joe Billing to give them the lead.

Goole hit back and first Anthony Shoesmith on the left and Billing on the right had to sprint to win the race to touch down and save tries from long kicks.

Good runs then came from Dyson and centre Danny Hoyle, which led to another penalty for Billing to stretch the lead to six points.

As the home side came back the ball was moved wide to the corner and while it was obvious from both sets of players that they did not think a try had been scored, the referee gave it.

The conversion was missed but soon after the home side took the lead. They won a lineout, but once a driving maul had been halted, they moved the ball wide to score a good try in the same corner as the first – again unconverted.

Billing reduced the arrears to a point, before Rishworthians regained the lead with a fine try.

Player-coach Damian Ball slipped the ball to Dyson in midfield and he completed a strong 50-yard run to dive in and slide over the line. Billing added the conversion to end the half with the visitors leading 16-10.

They opened the second half strongly but were soon on the defensive and were forced to defend close to their line for a long period before finally breaking clear.

But then Andy Shickell was yellow-carded for a high tackle. The penalty kick took play to the Rishworthian line. A catch and drive from the lineout was held up, but eventually the ball was scrambled over for a try. The conversion proved the killer blow.

The visitors still had time to win it, but two long range penalty efforts from Billing were unsuccessful.

With the final move of the game, Frank Watene received a high tackle in a position which could have provided a very kickable option, but, unlike with Shickell, no punishment came from the referee and the game petered out.

Rishworthians’ second team lost 24-0 at home to Doncaster Phoenix seconds.