Rishworthians surge into last eight

Old Rishworthians moved into the quarter finals of the Yorkshire Silver Trophy by defeating Hornsea 35-19 away at the Hollis Fields on Saturday.

With eight players unavailable or injured, the squad included James Clarke for his second appearance of the season, Sam Bartlett and Joel Broadbent. Ben Porritt and Joel Broadbent started in the back row.

The heavy pitch suited the larger home pack and after five minutes Pooley kicked a penalty for the home side.

Hornsea continued to use their forwards and a further penalty by Pooley for a shoulder charge by Harry Collect saw the home side increase their lead. Collett was given a yellow card and this seemed to spur the visitors.

Aaron Canning was dangerous every time he received the ball and the Rishworthian backs started to attack the Hornsea line. Sam Bartlett, making his debut on the wing, beat his man, drew the cover and passed back inside for Chris Dyson to score near the posts. Canning converted.

From the kick off the ball did not travel 10 metres and at the resulting scrum, Gary Morris made a break, supported by Dyson who passed the ball to Canning for a try under the posts. Canning converted.

Collett returned and both he and Fraser Swarbrooke began to win useful lineout ball, meaning the home defenders had their work cut out.

After a turnover the Hollismen ran the ball near their 10 metre line but Joe Billing intercepted and went in for try which was unconverted.

Clarke came on 10 minutes before the end of the first half and was immediately in the action. Glen Rika Rayne and Reuben Pollard ran clever lines off the rucks and mauls, gaining valuable ground for the visitors.

Rishworthians deserved their 19-6 half time lead but there was still plenty to do.

The Hollismen started the second half as if they meant business and a penalty for not releasing by the visitors was kicked by Pooley.

With more possession, Luke Flanagan showed his talent and made several breaks from outside half. The ball was moved into the home 22 and following a scrum, Morris passed to Clarke who drove over for an unconverted try.

At 24-9 the visitors had a lapse in concentration and Hornsea centre Butterill scored an unconverted try. Further good work by the home forwards enabled replacement winger Andrews to score a good try wide out which was unconverted.

The Hollismen were certainly raising their game and Morris gave the visitors a good talking to.

Old Rishworthians are not top of Yorkshire Three for nothing and attacking kicks by Morris and Flanagan enabled left wing Anthony Shoesmith to cause problems for his opposite number.

The Hornsea forwards infringed and Canning kicked a penalty. A further penalty for offside enabled Canning to kick another goal.

Just after the restart Flanagan made a lovely break and was supported by Dyson who made the ball available to Kurt Sutcliffe. He ran hard for the corner to score an unconverted try.

The final score satisfied team manager Daniel Ingham and the side will travel to Goole next Saturday for an important league game in good heart.