Saints warm up for cup semi final with battling victory

ST Columbas under 14s ensured that they went into Sunday’s cup semi final clash on a high with a battling 3-1 victory at a much improved Littleborough Juniors.

The home team started the brighter and had a couple of early chances before they went ahead when a fine through ball split the Saints back four and the striker slotted home past keeper Connor Bottomley.

Saints started to settle and nice play on the right involving Cameron Andrew, Jordan Bloem and the returning Isaac Wilinsky promised much before striker Will Hitchen calmly slotted home from close range to bring Saints level.

Both sides attacked with intent with left back Jordan Winter and midfielder Luke Sharman combining well down the left although the final ball let the latter down leaving it 1-1 at the break.

A couple of substitutions and positional changes seemed to up the urgency with Tomas Smethurst-Robinson and Adam Topping entering the fray and Jordan Bloem and Adam Knapton switching positions.

Knapton and Winter combined well down the left with George Haigh-Gill getting more time on the ball.

Saints went ahead when they were awarded a penalty after a Littleborough defender handled in the area and Andrew calmly slotted home.

Centre backs Bloem and Jamie Battye dug deep whilst the shape held well as Louis Smith and Haigh-Gill had to clear their lines.

Saints withstood the pressure and a delightful through ball from Sharman sent Smethurst-Robinson racing clear and he made sure of the spoils at the second attempt from an acute angle.

CLIFTON Rangers under 15s ran out easy 6-2 winners at Huddersfield League Division One basement side Lepton

With one eye on their cup semi final next week Clifton chopped and changed their team around and a tough first half saw just one goal when Matty Rowles’ cross into the box was turned into his own goal by a Lepton defender

The home side equalised early on in the second half and a shock looked on the cards until two goals in five minutes from George Gray and Jordan put Clifton 3-1 up.

Further goals from Matty Rowles Josh Margison and George Gray ended the contest before the home side replied just before full time.

BOOTHTOWN reached the semi final of the Calderdale League Shield after beating Warley Blues 5-2 after extra time.

In an even first half Boothtown edged in front when Dawson Brown smashed a 20 yard free kick into the roof of the net.

Warley came back strongly in the second half but Boothtown defenders Felicity Raud, Josh Waddington and Benji Tindall were all having fine games until a late strike by Jake Tyson sent the tie into extra time.

Dawson Brown turned the game, scoring two great goals to complete his hat-trick and sub Jacob Howes turned in a corner to put Boothtown 4-1 up.

Warley kept going and pulled a goal back but Boothtown keeper Kian Cox had the final word scoring from in his own area on his first game back following a broken arm.