Stars end foes’ perfect record

GREETLAND Stars under 15s wrecked Linthwaite’s 100 per cent record this season with a richly-deserved 4-3 win after they had trailed 2-0 at one stage.

The first half was end to end with a physical but classy Linthwaite side having the best of the chances and taking a deserved 1-0 lead in to the interval.

The second half continued at the same pace and Linthwaite went 2-0 up only 10 minutes after the restart and then won a clear-cut penalty. However, Alex Wilson, who was outstanding throughout, was not to be beaten this time as the Linthwaite striker blazed the ball over the bar.

The game changed and the excellent work at the back from Carrington, Cook, Nicholson and Craig was rewarded after Murgatroyd set Williams free to lob the keeper for a cool finish. Ross Craig then made a second last ditch clearance after which Sweeney played a lovely through ball for Aiden Williams to notch his second after leaving a quality defence in his wake.

The momentum was now with Greetland and despite continued pressure from Linthwaite, the home side started to lose their cool and made a number of unnecessary rash challenges, one of which allowed Greetland to take the lead, Joe Nicholson unleashing a piledriver of a free kick that left the keeper clutching at air.

Again Greetland were put under intense pressure but Wilson was on top form in Greetland’s goal and his clearance was helped on by Kenworthy and Joyce allowing Youell to dispossess the Linthwaite keeper and place the ball into an empty net.

The referee then played a lot of additional time which saw the home side grab a deflected consolation but Greetland still ran out worthy winners, condemning Linthwaite to their first home defeat for nearly three years.

CLIFTON Rangers under 15s showed they are not going to give up their title without a fight as they convincingly beat previously unbeaten Hartshead 2-0 to move into second place in the league.

Rangers dominated the first 20 minutes with Curtis Ioannou bringing the best out of the Hartshead keeper who tipped his volley onto the bar after which Ioannou saw a header hit the post.

Rangers were then awarded a penalty when Jordan Hoyle looked certain to score only to see his shot handled by a Hartshead defender who was duly sent off. Josh Margison cooly put away the penalty to give Rangers a 1-0 half-time lead.

Hartshead’s 10 men battled hard but Clifton’s dominance continued with Matty Rowles having an outstanding game in midfield and they made the game safe when a superb run into the penalty box by fullback Danny Rose resulted in him being brought down and Argison again gave the keeper no chance from the spot.

GREETLAND Goldstars under 15s finally got off the mark at the seventh time of asking with a fantastic team performance in a 4-3 victory over Clifton Rangers B.

Greetland had to withstand early pressure from the home side and keeper Danny Hoyle was called into action to pull off some good saves.

Goldstars snatched the lead against the run of play when James Dwyer pounced onto a back pass to push the ball past the stranded keeper. Clifton equalised when a weak shot bobbled past the Greetland keeper before they took the lead when a good shot from outside the area crept under the bar.

Greetland responded and Dwyer continued to cause problems and he won himself a penalty when he was upended in the area, Thomas Hales despatching the spot kick.

Greetland started the second half playing down the hill and looked good going forward with man of the match Luke Whitworth linking up well with the other strikers. In midfield Robson Baines and Shaun Filby worked tirelessly while at the back the Goldstars defence looked very strong. Greetland regained the lead when Thomas Hales was checked in the area and Rob Sykes smashed the ball into the net from the spot.

Thomas Hales then added his second with a well worked goal but Clifton were not finished and came back with another goal to make for a tense final 10 minutes.

More Junior Sport in Thursday’s Halifax Courier