Top spot is reward for Halifax after convincing win in the snow

Halifax Ladies 5

Wakefield 0

HALIFAX produced another great team effort in wintry weather at Park Lane High School to beat their struggling visitors and go top of the Yorkshire Premier.

As snow fell, Halifax took some time to adapt to conditions which had an effect on their passing game.

Wakefield adapted the quicker but were unable to crack a Halifax defence led by Jane Greenwood.

Halifax eventually put pressure on the young Wakefield side. They were rewarded when a long pass from Jo Love led to a move down the right and Emma Crawford slipping the ball to Kate Walsh, who scored.

Leading 1-0 at half time, Halifax stepped up the pressure in the second half and focused on keeping their discipline and control of the ball.

They were rewarded with two goals by Joe Hartley from well planned short corners.

Halifax continued to pass the ball around effectively. Walsh swept home the fourth goal and Emma Crawford rounded off the scoring following a cross from Steph Jones.

Halifax II 4

Tadcaster Magnets 1

HALIFAX strengthened their mid-table place in Yorkshire Three with a comfortable win over the bottom side.

In wintry conditions, Halifax started strongly with midfielders Richard Marshall, Luke Greenwood and Peter Balmforth supplying a steady stream of through balls to strikers Dave Willis and Sutcliffe Jnr.

They took the lead after four minutes when Willis dribbled the ball into the danger zone and Sutcliffe rounded the keeper and scored with a reverse stick shot.

The tempo slowed and Halifax were lucky when they were caught on the break but Tadcaster shot wide.

Steve Fawkes snuffed out further threats and just before half time Dave Wheatley linked up with Andy Barnfather and streaked up the right wing Before making a great pass to Sutcliffe, who scored with ease.

Five minutes into the second half Marshall had a shot saved but Willis lifted the ball past the keeper for 3-0.

Tadcaster immediately won a short corner and the shot hit Fawkes on the foot, the visitors scoring from the penalty flick.

However, Greenwood came off the bench and within 30 seconds of his return had rounded two defenders and cracked a reverse stick shot past the outstretched keeper.

Bingley Bees 2

Halifax IV 3

Halifax got an important away victory in Yorkshire Six North, overcoming very difficult conditions when the snow arrived.

After an early lunchtime start, the weather took a turn for the worse midway through the second half and the sides declined an invitation to abandon the game.

Halifax dominated the first half, Collins, Hellowell and Paul Crowther all missing chances.

They fell behind when a mis-placed pass in defence was intercepted by the Bingley centre-forward, who ran in on goal and placed a strong shot from the top of the ‘D’ past Fred Owens.

This spurred Halifax, and after numerous short corners, one was put away with great composure, Jason Smith converting a Lapworth corner.

As the weather started to deteriorate, Halifax went into the lead through Smith’s angled shot from the top of the ‘D’.

Bingley responded with a period of pressure, winning short corners, and Halifax defender Jamie Maddock put his body on the line to save Halifax when a deflected shot hit him high on the leg.

Aidan Lesser had another fine game in defence while Andy Turner helped keep Bingley at bay.

The home side made it 2-2 from a short corner but an inspired substitution helped win the game for the visitors.

Cameron Hellowell came on and he picked up the ball straight away, ran at the Bingley defence and then passed to centre-forward Dave Collins, who finished with a great shot.

Owens pulled off some great saves late on to protect the lead.