Under-strength Heath no match for hosts

Scarborough 79 Heath 10

Heath travelled to the East Coast with several influential players absent and coaches Kevin Plant and Giles Hetherington having to draw on the services of second team players.

Scarborough, undefeated in Yorkshire One so far this season, fancied their chances on home turf and with only three minutes on the clock scored a converted try in the corner to open their account. Undeterred, Heath came bouncing back and as Hetherington and Brown tried to find the gaps, the hosts gave away a penalty for offside and Charlie Lomas reduced the deficit to 7-3.

The home side were very strong in the rucks and overturned Heath several times. After 11 minutes Scarborough took the ball for their winger Graeme Jeffrey to storm over for another try converted by Tom Ratcliffe. However, Heath’s heads did not drop and they managed to regroup and when Hetherington received the ball on the Scarborough 22 he evaded two tackles and skipped over for a well taken try. Lomas converted and Heath were back in contention at 14-10.

However, Heath were failing to keep the ball and giving away easy possession. On 25 minutes Scarborough once again took control on the halfway line and Corey Dennis ran over for a well taken and converted try.

Heath were unlucky when a good move from a lineout saw Puttick lay off to Moore, who set up the next attack as Hetherington kicked through but Brown failed to touch down.

A quick kick from Scarborough saw defence immediately turned into attack and Luke Clogher was the only player to respond as he managed to fly kick to touch as several home players bore down on him. Scarborough came away with a penalty and increased their lead to 24-10 and on 37 minutes added another try to open up a 29-10 half-time lead.

After the interval Ben Littlewood took to the field in place of Si Brown, but from the kick-off Heath failed to control the ball and immediately conceded a try. Picking up points then became too easy for Scarborough and the game became something of a rout with Heath trailing 69-10 on the hour.

The injured Hetherington left the field on 70 minutes and Scarborough continued to hammer home their advantage.