Vandals return to action with a win

Tom Crowther
Tom Crowther

Halifax Vandals ended a month of enforced inactivity with a 17-10 home victory over Ossett in Yorkshire Four.

Straight from the kick off Vandals threw the idea of Ossett forward-dominance out the window.

Although possession was relatively even, the Warley men seemed to be moving forward relentlessly, with or without the ball.

Surging carries from forwards Paul Jowett and Ben Burnside were teamed with ruthless defensive performances from the centre partnership of Luke Sutcliffe and Nathan Harris, and the Kazmierski father and son flanking pairing.

Player-coach Ed Morane squandered the best chance Vandals had to score during the opening half an hour; an unexpected quick tap penalty in front of the posts caused confusion in the pack which ended in a crossing offence which left Ossett with a penalty opportunity to clear their lines.

Despite the obvious dominance of the first half the only points of the first 40 minutes went to

the visitors. A dropped ball from the Warley men fell into the hands of the Ossett winger, who

ran the 90 metres to the try line to give the visitors a 7-0 interval lead.

Vandals brought on Matt Farrar at outside centre to add further attacking options and young Janek Kazmierski was replaced by Frazer Carrington, whose shoulder injuries have kept him away from most of the first team action this season.

The try Vandals needed came within the first few minutes: a line break from Farrar was

finished with some lovely footwork from Tom Crowther. The try was converted and the game was levelled.

The screw was turned further with a try from Paul Knapping, who had a fantastic afternoon,

both in his stand off role and with the boot.

A well struck penalty from distance 10 minutes later gave vandals a 17-7 lead with 20 minutes left to play.

Ossett strung together some good phases of play and for the first time in the game looked threatening, however the strong vandals defence kept them at bay.