Win over Dalesmen cheers Crocs

editorial image

Old Crossleyans eased their Yorkshire One relegation fears with a fourth win of the season - and a four-try bonus point - by 27-22 at home to North Ribblesdale yesterday.

In a fluctuating contest, they led 14-0 and then 19-7 at half time before the Dalesmen reduced the deficit to two points.

Crocs moved out to 27-17 but Ribb grabbed a losing bonus point with a try in added time at the end.

The Broomfield men, who had some of their ‘old guard’ back, would have fallen behind but for a pass being ruled forward.

Fullback Gareth Sweeney kicked a long penalty to touch on the visitors’ 22 and Crocs won the lineout and mauled their way to the posts from 10 metres out with Sam Broughton getting the try. Ryan Sweeney’s kick made it 7-0 on 13 minutes.

Manny Riaz made a strong tackle as Ribb tried to hit back and the visitors struck a post with a 30 metre penalty.

Crocs doubled their lead on 35 minutes following good approach play by backs Zane Sanders, Chris Seymour and Jack Hammond. Scrum half Chris Vine cut through to score by the posts and Sweeney converted.

Ribb hit back following successive scrums five metres out, No 8 Matthew Speres going over and Mike Thwaite converting.

There was still time for Broughton, Sanders, Hammond and Luke Saltonstall to put the home men back on the attack.

The ball was run back from a clearance and Ryan Sweeney’s long punt across the field was expertly collected by Saltonstall on the other flank and the winger touched down for an unconverted try.

A Thwaite penalty made it 19-10 on 50 minutes and the gap closed to two points two minutes later when Jonathan Richards crossed by the side of the post and Thwaite converted.

Sweeney was just short with a penalty from half-way on 68 minutes but he made it 22-17 on 75 minutes following Richard Wheale’s great charge.

A fine break from Vine took Crocs back to half way and they set up a maul which trundled 50 metres downfield to the Ribb line. Quick passing enabled Hammond to cross unopposed. Sweeney was wide with the conversion attempt.

Simon Bollard was first to a kick in the corner to give the visitors some reward at the end of the 80 minutes.