Rain hits Parish Cup final

Andrew Truscott for Booth in the Parish Cup final
Andrew Truscott for Booth in the Parish Cup final

The Foster’s Halifax League Parish Cup final will go into “overtime” for the second year running after rain brought a premature end to play at Blackley today.

Premier Division leaders Jer Lane had reached 56 for one after 11 overs in reply to Booth’s 290 for five when a third stoppage for bad weather forced umpires Alan Ford and Andrew Rawnsley to call a halt for the day.

The Briggs Priestley Engravers-sponsored showpiece will resume at 1.30 next Sunday but Lane are expected to be without two players and Booth one as the holiday season reaches a peak.

Paul Chapman and wicketkeeper Graham Sivyer are the likely Lane absentees while Booth’s Andrew Truscott will be out of the country.

Truscott has already made a big impact, top scoring with 87 not out and then bowling two inexpensive overs of his unorthodox left arm slow stuff before the heavens opened again, decisively, at 7.05pm.

Booth had made good use of an inviting biege-coloured wicket after Rob Laycock had won the toss.

After a false start - there was a 20-minute hold-up after one over - openers Patrick Thomas and Chris Shannon set the tone for some fluent batting with an opening stand of 82 in 19 overs.

Thomas survived one loud shot for caught behind off Nasir Chowdrey but eventually perished for an attractive 47 when he miscued an attempted hit to leg and was caught in the gully by Raqueeb Younis.

Shannon, much improved as a batsman, went on to make 79 off 67 balls and was the dominant partner in a second-wicket stand of 67 in 10 overs with Truscott.

Shannon departed to a smart catch on the boundary by Johnny Lister and fellow left-hander Richard Laycock (24) holed out at long-on to became left arm spinner Junior Williams’ third victim with the total on 189 in the 36th over.

Truscott was in full stride by now, cashing in on a drop by Nabil Khan to reach his half-century off 43 balls.

Robert Laycock (10) was not so lucky - Khan clung on this time on the square leg boundary - and John Potkins (8) also departed in the quest for quick runs.

Truscott ensured Booth set an imposing total with some sturdy hitting late on, Nigel Horsfall (22 no) helping to plunder 56 off the last five overs.

Andrew Pinfield’s thick edge behind in the second over was not the start Lane had wanted after tea and they were eight for one after three overs when rain forced a 45-minute break.

They resumed with Chapman in for the temporarily-retired Younis (ankle ligaments) and he and Jordan Laban added 48 in eight overs in a style which suggest that while Lane may face a tough task next Sunday, it is not an impossible one.

Hard-hitting youngster Laban survived one caught behind chance just before the close. Had that stuck Booth would have been really sitting pretty.

Booth v Jer Lane

BOOTH 290 for five

C.Shannon c Lister b Williams 79

P.Thomas c Younis b Williams 47

A,Truscott not out 87

Ric Laycock c Waddington b Williams 24

Rob Laycock c Khan b Chowdrey 10

J.Potkins c Hustler b Khan 8

N.Horsfall not out 20

Extras 15

Bowling: N.Chowdrey 9-0-74-1, J.Lister 9-2-27-0, N.Khan 9-1-61-1, J.Williams 9-1-43-3, M.Hustler 5-0-40-0, R.Younis 4-0-32-0.

JER LANE 56 for one

A.Pinfield c Thomas b Collinge 0

R.Younis retired hurt 3

J.Laban not out 25

P.Chapman not out 25

Extras 3

Bowling: Ric Laycock 4-1-17-0, O.Collinge 5-0-31-1, A.Truscott 2-0-5-0.