Rugby league: Sheard's late kick gives Siddal draw

Siddal A 12 St Josephs 12 (Premier Division)

Siddal showed their intentions from the very first tackle as Ian Crawshaw and Ash Huck flattened Liam Donlan forcing him to spill the ball.

The visitors were just as powerful in defence with Roger Simpson and Joe Flaherty to the fore.

The Huddersfield outfit were first on the scoresheet when a four man move in the top corner resulted in the impressive Lee St Hilaire putting fullback Sam Harding over with a well timed pass, stand off Neil Barrett adding the conversion.

In the ninth minute, Pete Howard broke the defence to set Crawshaw away but he couldn't hold the ball in the sticky conditions. Callum Dinsdale, making his Siddal debut, was in fine form in attack and defence and was a constant threat with some strong running.

Siddal reduced the arrears in the 21st minute when the visitors' second rower Graham Hyland threw a stray pass that Tony Sheard intercepted.

He raced 30 metres towards the corner but was just held short, and two tackles later Crawshaw crashed over at the side of the posts, Sheard's conversion hitting the post.

Richard Casanove came off the bench in the 25th minute and made an immediate impact, smashing Lee St Hilaire with a tremendous tackle.

Sam Ansel and Ryan Fenton combined well to set Danny Marshall free who almost gave Siddal the lead.

A clever grubber kick on the last tackle from the boot of Crawshaw then caused confusion in the in-goal and Andrew Fox was unlucky not to get his hand to the ball first.

Ten minutes into the second half, St Josephs increased their lead when what looked like a harmless punt upfield was hacked on by substitute Joe Craine, who won the race to touchdown, Barrett again adding the conversion.

Jack Holmes reduced Siddal's arrears after a barnstorming run carried him over the line with three defenders on his back, Sheard kicking the conversion.

In the 71st minute Sheard levelled the scores with a penalty leaving both teams with a share of the spoils.

More reports from the weekend's rugby league in Wednesday's Courier