Rugby union: Brods undone by John double

Old Brodleians 3 Percy Park 12

BRODS' unbeaten home record in North One East this season perished in an instantly-forgettable opening match of 2011.

Two tries from visiting scrum half and skipper John Scott maintained second-placed Park's promotion challenge and gave them a double over the Woodhead men, following their 30-20 success in late September.

The first of them, 10 minutes before half time, was an absolute nonsense after West Midlands Society referee James Bullock appeared to lose his whistle for 30 seconds.

Scott's follow up score in added time at the end, from a 40 metre diagonal dash, was a more worthwhile effort and denied Brods a losing bonus point.

If the home side are honest with themselves they didn't deserve one. Although there was no lack of effort they never looked like scoring and should write it off as a bad day at the office in what has generally been a decent campaign so far.

Only open side flanker Ben Hoyle and to a lesser extent hooker Rob Millward emerged with any credit from a turgid performance.

The lineout worked well and Brods were nearer to gaining parity in the scrums than they had been in the earlier meeting.

However, they appear to have some square pegs in round holes in the back line and coach Ian Armitage's search for the right combinations will continue at Pontefract next week.

Park had the bulk of the early possession and were content to grind out the yards through their forwards up the Woodhead slope.

Play was concentrated between the half way line and the Brods 22, the fifth-placed home team comfortably resisting the visitors' efforts.

It took the hosts almost 20 minutes to mountain a threat, Richard Holborough's low kick through leading to an anxious moment or two for Park as Tom Hanson and Joe Armitage almost penetrated the visitors' armour.

Eventually Park were offside in front of their posts and Ollie Akroyd's left boot gave Brods a 3-0 lead on 22 minutes.

The visitors swept in front in bizarre fashion. Jack Moon's long clearance was knocked on and the home fullback then fumbled the return kick. But Mr Bullock didn't appear to see either and Park capitalised on their position deep in home territory when Scott dived over five metres to the left of the posts.

Ashley Smith's kick made it 3-7 and it could have got worse for the home side before half time with Park pulled back from close to the try line for a tight forward pass call and home scrum half Danny Melia fortunate not to be yellow carded after a couple of blatant offsides.

Jennings made a rare break for Brods, from Akroyd's inside ball, and the home side produced several phases of play close to the Park line before knocking on at the end of the opening 40.

Neither side remotely looked like scoring in the third quarter as the attacks functioned without spark and at half-pace on a greasy pitch.

Home coach Ian Armitage made changes to try to inject some life into his side but with fullback Jack Moon particularly out-of-sorts, there was no counter-attacking threat.

Marcus Rutter was short with a penalty attempt as Park looked to stretch their advantage and the replacement broke away from the other end shortly afterwards but was hauled down by Andy Clay.

The killer blow came deep into stoppage time when Scott broke from a scrum just outside the home 22 and kept going when two Brods tacklers stood off him, Rutter's kick going to the right.

The final act, Holborough's restart which failed to go 10 metres, summed up Brods' afternoon.

THERE was a minute's silence before kick off for club stalwart Terry Webster, who helped build the old clubhouse in the 1960s and a player and official for many years.

BRODS seconds drew 22-22 against Cleckheaton.