Fax ease to comfortable victory

Halifax 44

York City Knights 12

FAX coach Karl Harrison was pleased with the result but not the manner of the victory as he watched his side finally overpower a game York side to maintain their chase of Featherstone at the top of the Co-operative Championship table.

Harrison had decided to rest a few players who were carrying knocks, and the result was a disjointed display - particularly in the first half when the lowly visitors took the game to their hosts and capitalised on a number of errors.

But Fax, who had gone ahead early only to fall 12-4 behind, gained the upper hand before the break and left York scoreless in a more dominant second half display.

Fax enjoyed a stroke of luck early on when a forward pass was not picked up by the officials and Ben Heaton was able to go over in the corner, Handforth enduring a rare miss with the boot from the touchline.

However, York saw a similar decision go in their favour and George Elliott made the hosts pay leaving Chris Thorman to edge the visitors ahead with the conversion.

The faithful began to grow restless as Fax struggled to make an impression on a young York side, and there were further groans when the visitors took the lead, Jack Aldous and Thorman combining to send supporting full back Tom Bush over, Thorman again adding the extras.

Fax took a while to gather themselves, but were right back in the contest when substitute Sam Barlow bulldozed his way through several tackles before stretching over close to the posts leaving Handforth with a straightforward kick.

That was the spur Fax needed and Handforth was again architect and also finisher, breaking from centre field and weaving past a couple of half-hearted tackles before making sure he left himself with an easy kick for a 16-12 lead.

York had a try ruled out for obstruction before Fax extended their advantage when Craig Ashall’s clever kick through was pounced on by full back Paul White, Handforth’s conversion giving his side a hard-earned 22-12 lead at the break.

It took a matter of minutes for Fax to impose themselves on the second period with Barlow busting through the York defence again before waiting for White to join him and the full back raced in under the posts for Handforth to convert.

White had a try ruled out on the advice of the touch judge but there was no doubting the legality of their next effort as Thackeray and Dane Manning combined to send Worrincy in at the corner for 32-12.

And it got even better with Bowman burrowing over, Handforth converting, before Worrincy added his now customary length of the field try after plucking Thorman’s kick to the corner out of the air on his own line and haring in under York’s posts leaving Handforth to put the gloss on the scoring.

Fax: White, Worrincy, Bowman, Haley, Heaton, Handforth, Thackeray, Tonks, Ashall, Hesketh, Manning, Casey, Ambler. Subs: Paterson, Gannon, Barlow, Aiuzue.

York: Bush, Pryce, Elliott, Garside, Dent, Craig, Thorman, Sullivan, Lee, Aldous, Esposito, Davies, Freer. Subs: Bryning, Sutton, Pountney, Ellis.

Referee: C Sharrad.

Attendance: 1,989.