Fax recover to post comprehensive win

Andy Bracek offloads to Craig Ashall
Andy Bracek offloads to Craig Ashall
Share this article

Halifax maintained their 100 per cent record after two Championship rounds with a comprehensive 20-8 win at Workington.

Karl Harrison’s side, who had distanced Sheffield 18-10 in round one, held a slender 8-6 lead at the break before easing clear in the final quarter with tries from Dane Manning and Steve Tyrer.

Fax made an awful start, finding themselves split open virtually from the kick off and the veteran half back Peter Lupton sending his partner Carl Forber under the posts for a try after 54 seconds.

Forber kicked the easy conversion, but Fax soon gained a foothold on a rain-soaked playing surface, with props Andy Bracek and Luke Ambler in impressive form.

And they made an impact on the scoreboard after 12 minutes, Lee Paterson - preferred to Rob Worrincy in the starting line up - racing over in the corner after a cut out pass from Paul Handforth.

Tyrer, recalled after missing last week’s opener against Sheffield, missed the conversion as a war of attrition developed in midfield.

Fax went in front after 25 minutes after the Town defence failed to deal with Handforth’s bomb, Ross Divorty hacking the ball towards the corner flag and Tyrer pouncing for a try which he was unable to convert.

Leading 8-6, Fax had the best of the rest of the half without managing to add to their tally.

The early exchanges of the second period saw plenty of toil but little flair as the weather conditions deteriorated, with Town enjoying their best spell of the match as they went toe to toe with their visitors in the third quarter.

It took until the 65th minute for Fax to crack their hosts, Manning surging clear down the right and then showing a nice dummy and turn of speed on his way to the whitewash.

Tyrer kicked the conversion to give the visitors a 14-6 lead, which even at that stage looked decisive.

And they put the result beyond doubt with 10 minutes remaining when the unstoppable Adam Robinson offloaded on the right and Murrell and Handforth whipped the ball across the field for Tyrer to race in for the touchdown.

The centre kicked the conversion and that was that, apart from a late Forber penalty that earned Town a bonus point.

Workington: Carter; Patrick, Hulme, Morris, Calderwood; Lupton, Forber; Dowes, Phillips, Walne, Phillips, Stack, Olstrum. Subs: Coyle, Thackray, Gore, Davies.

Halifax: Fieldhouse; Sheriffe, Heaton, Tyrer, Paterson; Handforth, Murrell; Ambler, Ashall, Bracek, Manning, Divorty, Robinson. Subs: Tonks, Ashall, Bowman, Casey.

Referee: Matthew Thomason