Lane next for victorious Siddal

Actions from Siddal v Leigh at Chevinedge. Pictured is Scott Caley try
Actions from Siddal v Leigh at Chevinedge. Pictured is Scott Caley try

Siddal will host Lock Lane in the next round of the National Conference League play-offs next Saturday after edging past Leigh Miners Rangers 30-28 yesterday.

In a fluctuating contest at Chevinedge, Siddal turned a 10-0 deficit after 12 minutes into a 24-10 lead early in the second half.

Rangers hit back to be only two points adrift entering the final quarter. A converted try moved the Halifax side clear again, but Siddal had an anxious last couple of minutes after the plucky visitors had bagged another six-pointer.

Jonathan Youds was in free-scoring form for Rangers, who had finished sixth to Siddal’s third after 24 rounds of Premier Division fixtures this summer.

The full back scored a try after three minutes and added the goal to that and a touchdown from winger Scott Travis on 12 minutes.

Shell-shocked Siddal got the bit between their teeth and replied with four tries in 16 minutes from Tom Garratt, fit-again Shaun Garrod, Gareth Blackburn and Scott Caley.

Scrum half Chris Brook converted all of them to leave Siddal sitting pretty.

Darryl Kay and Adam Thompson showed that Rangers were keen to prolong their season by touching down on 50 and 60 minutes, Youds adding the goals.

That set up an exciting finale in which winger Blackburn’s second try, converted by Brook, was cancelled out by a score from Mike O’Boyle, converted by Youds.

Lock Lane beat Thatto Heath Crusaders 21-10 in yesterday’s other play-off game.

In the Pennine League, Halifax Irish crashed out of the Pennine Presidents when beaten 56-16 at Fryston Warriors.

Brighouse Rangers have a one point lead at the top of the Championship after they beat visitors Bentley Good Companions 42-10 and Illingworth were held 18-18 in their derby match at Queensbury.

Illingworth looked as if they might win when their best handling move produced a try for Adam Millins with less than 10 minutes left.

However, their converted score was matched by unbeaten Queensbury on 77 minutes when second row forward Sam Cheney crashed through the defence.