Ovenden leave it late to secure win

Eastmoor Dragons 8

Ovenden 16

Ovenden continued their great start to the season with a hard earned Conference Division Two win in Wakefield.

Trailing at the break, they took the lead towards the end of the match and sealed the points when Luke Sutcliffe picked up a loose ball to run 60 metres.

The visitors paid the price for dropping the ball on the second tackle of the match. This allowed the Dragons to move the ball wide for Adrian Mulcahy to score in the corner.

A strong break from the back of the scrum by Matty Short took Ovenden to the home 22 but when the ball was passed along the line, a knock on thwarted the move.

Gareth Jones, Tom Palmer and Matt Turner drove the home side back with some fierce defence and a short ball by Liam Walsh sent Matt Collins clear but he lacked support.

Richard Colley tried to get Eastmoor moving but Jones halted his progress with a strong tackle.

The Dragons looked dangerous on the attack with Ryan Thurston sending Arnold Mawere to the corner but the Ovenden defence knocked him into touch.

However, the home side were not to be denied and after Ovenden conceded three consecutive penalties, Mawere scored an unconverted try in the corner.

A good run by Luke Sandland looked promising for the visitors but when he released Luka O’Mara the latter was tackled into touch.

Mulcahy was kicking well for the home side but the in-form Niall Brady dealt with the threat well to keep the scoreline to a manageable 8-0 to the hosts at the break.

Ovenden started the second half well when a high kick was collected by Martin Mullen who passed inside for Shaun Smith to open his team’s account, Sandland just failing to add the conversion.

Good kicking from Mulcahy kept the visitors on their toes and a chip over the top was well dealt with by Brady. A 40-20 kept Ovenden under pressure but good defence by the three Matthews - Turner, Collins and Short - kept the hosts out

Ovenden finally hit the front with 12 minutes to go when a stab through by Jones was collected by Sutcliffe who went over the try line, the goal putting Ovenden two points ahead.

From the kick off, the visitors lost the ball on the first tackle. The Dragons tried their best but fitness told despite Ovenden inviting pressure when they lost the ball.

But the game was put to bed when Eastmoor attacked down the left but dropped the ball and Sutcliffe collected to win the race to the line for Sandland to add the goal.

The referee played seven extra minutes but Ovenden held out.