Ovenden run riot in first half

Ovenden 46

Heworth 6

Ovenden made it two wins and a draw from their opening Conference Division Two fixtures with an emphatic success over York opponents.

A first half blitz, in which the whole team contributed, produced seven tries. A young Heworth side which included the evergreen Steve Price had no answer to the strong running hosts, who moved the ball well.

Playing down the slope, the home side were soon on the attack with a powerful break from Matt Short producing a good scoring chance which was wasted due to a sloppy pass close to the line.

However, Ovenden soon went in front when the ball was moved quickly across the field to give Shaun Smith the chance to score in the corner.

Again the hosts charged into the York side’s defence, Niall Brady joining the line to produce the final pass for Short to touch down and Luke Sandland to add the goal.

Heworth had no answers to the Ovenden attack. The ball was moved to player-coach Gareth Jones who set up Smith close to the line and his pass enabled Martin Mullen to score in the corner.

Pete Williams was making his presence felt with some strong breaks and he was next to score, forcing his way over from close to the line for Sandland to add the extras.

Jones was the architect of the next try, releasing the ball as he was tackled for Liam Walsh to score. Again Sandland was on target with the kick.

Ovenden reached 30 points with a try that needed some deft footwork, Luke Sutcliffe hacking the ball forward and getting a rebound to leave Luke O’Mara a pick up to score.

Heworth then launched just about their first attack when Dan Hunter dribbled the ball in the home 22 but it went into touch.

The final score of the half came after Ben Mathers was held close to the line and Walsh sent over Sandland, who added the two points.

Ovenden made changes at half-time. Ash Taylor made his presence felt with a strong break, but Heworth showed more determination early on with Tom Speck and Price driving forward without making much headway,

Ovenden countered with a long break by Brady. His pass gave O’Mara a clear run to the line but a superb cover tackle by Dan Craig prevented another score.

The visitors finally got on the scoreboard when Phil Thompson broke through the home defence and Adam Caddie added the goal.

Another long break by Brady put Ovenden on the attack and the ball was moved wide for Smith to claim his second try.

The final try followed a drive by Tom Palmer into the visitors 22. His pass found Sutcliffe who ran across the field and dummied to pass before touching down near the posts for Sandland to convert.

Walsh, Palmer and Brady stood out for the home side but it was a team effort that won the day.