Ovenden see off Raiders

AFTER losing to Premier side Saddleworth in the final minutes last weekend, Ovenden again faced a team from a higher division in Oulton Raiders,

However, this time they made sure of the points with a well deserved victory with the defence setting the platform for some good attacking play.

Oulton, playing up the slope, were first on the attack. The ball was moved wide to give Luke Beecher a run and he looked a certain scorer only for a great tackle to take him into touch at the corner.

Again the visitors moved the ball wide and Adrian Holdsworth sent Danny Easton to the corner but once more the defence held firm.

Ovenden hit back with Matt Turner breaking clear only to be brought back for a forward pass.

They were then held up over the line before the ball was passed to Chris Sykes whose power and strength took him over the line with four defenders hanging off him, Luke Sandland landing the conversion.

Ovenden increased their lead when a chip over the Raiders line fell to Nathan Batty who failed to knock the ball dead allowing Liam Walsh to touch down and Sandland to add the extras.

The Leeds side hit back strongly through good bursts from Danny Stanley and Matty Bullough and when Ovenden were penalised the ball was moved across the field for Nathan Batty to score.

Martin Mullen was then taken into touch at the corner before the lead was increased when the home side earned a scrum close to the Oulton line from which Ben Lister scored right on half time.

The Raiders launched a series of attacks but Tom McAdam and Matty Dawson snuffed them out. Turner and Matty Short were tested in midfield but the visitors could not break through.

Sandlands increased the lead with a penalty goal after the visitors were guilty of holding down despite the Raiders having the bulk of the possession.

Pete Duggan broke through but was unable get the ball to the supporting Mullen before the game was sealed when, after a free kick was awarded, skipper Turner forced his way over for Sandland to add the extras.

Oulton completed the scoring when Ryan Laycock sent Dave Stodgen over.