Siddal always in control

Rugby league - Siddal v Wath Brow Hornets. Shaun Garrod for Siddal.
Rugby league - Siddal v Wath Brow Hornets. Shaun Garrod for Siddal.

Siddal’s strong first half performance was the key a 36-10 home victory Wath Brow Hornets yesterday.

Four converted tries helped them into a 24-6 interval lead and set them up for a third successive win in the Premier Division of the National Conference League.

Siddal’s new back line looked threatening from the kick off as half-back partners Liam Coe and Shaun Garrod sprayed the ball around.

The opening try came on 11 minutes. The ball was transferred to Siddal’s left and centre Chester Butler was held up over the line. On the next play Garrod went down the short side and slipped a short pass to left wing Gareth Blackburn, who tip-toed down the touchline to score. Coe began a faultless kicking performance with a fine conversion.

Wath Brow’s efforts were led by fullback Jamie Devine, who made a fine 50 yard break, and stand off Karl Dixon.

However, Siddal scored again on 21 minutes through impressive fullback Freddie Walker. After hooker Craig Sanderson had driven deep into Wath Brow territory down the middle of the pitch, Coe brought loose forward Gareth English back on the inside and English supplied a sublime pass to the supporting Walker, who raced over under the posts. Coe added the goal.

Siddal were on fire. On 27 minutes second row Billy Hammond added a third try after fine work by substitute debutant Jordan Baldwin who caught the Wath Brow markers napping at a play the ball. Hammond followed his break to collect the off-load and score by the posts. Coe again had a simple conversion.

The visitors were staring down the barrel and it got worse for them after 33 minutes when substitute Ross White went over following a fine break from centre Gavin Stead. Coe banged over his fourth goal for a 24-0 lead.

On the stroke of half time Wath Brow got a lifeline with a try out wide from left wing Gregg Dawson. Scott Pink kicked over a great touchline conversion to give the Cumbrians a bit of hope.

Wath Brow needed to score first to have any chance of hauling in Siddal but on 46 minutes Walker broke down the middle to run 40 yards and score a great individual try by the posts. Coe converted.

Wath Brow hit back straight away with a somewhat fortunate try for centre Pink after a loose ball was hacked on and the luck of the bounce favoured him. The same player couldn’t add the goal.

The game became a little scrappy in the last third with Siddal generally pressing for further scores.

Tom Garratt got over the line but couldn’t get the ball down and Siddal forced Wath Brow to drop out on a couple of occasions.

Siddal completed the scoring after Coe fired a great 40-20 on the hour mark. Two plays later Baldwin sneaked over unopposed from dummy half. Coe completed a perfect six from six kicking display.

Siddal thoroughly deserved their win with Walker outstanding at fullback, Butler and Hammond running strongly and Gareth English continuing his impressive early season form.

Young debutant Baldwin had a promising half hour as Siddal climbed to fifth, only one point behind leaders Lock Lane.