Siddal book Wath Brow semi-final date

West Hull 10 Siddal 17

Siddal finished the regular season with a hard fought victory over old rivals West Hull, to finish just behind eventual Minor Premier Champions Wath Brow, on points difference.

Siddal must now travel to Wath Brow on Saturday, November 3, in the first of the Grand Final semi finals in an attempt to reach their sixth Grand Final in the last 10 years.

Player coach Gareth Greenwood was influential in the first try after seven minutes by sending Scott Caley through a gap. He released winger Steve Hope in the corner to give the visitors a 4-0 lead.

Joe Martin put in some astute kicks down into the West Hull half to ease the pressure on the Siddal line before the visitors lost the services of prop forward Liam Green with an arm injury.

Captain Nick Smith led by example, taking the ball up well along with Simeon Hoyle and Danny Keane while Shaun Garrod, made an immediate impact after coming off the bench, spotting a gap on the blindside to send Emerson Newburn racing down the flank and he sent second rower Lee Greenwood in for a try. Gareth Blackburn added the conversion to give Siddal a deserved 10-0 lead which remained until the half time break.

Siddal extended their lead eight minutes into the second period with a move involving Caley and Gareth Blackburn. They created an opening for wing man Steve Hope who beat several defenders to cross over for his second try. Blackburn converted to give the visitors a healthy 16-0 lead.

West Hull began to pressurise the Siddal line and at times the visitors had to defend three sets in succession. Some superb defending by the whole team kept them out, particularly the hard-working Craig Sanderson, Andrew Fox and Rob Bradley.

The solid Siddal line was eventually broken when forward Aiden Morton found a gap to cross under the posts. Stand off Ian Kerman converted to narrow the score a 16-6.

Siddal’s defence was tested again after giving away several penalties which resulted in winger Chris Whinn crossing wide out to narrow the score to 16-10 with six minutes remaining. On the next attack Shaun Garrod made sure of the points with a well taken drop goal.