Siddal bounce back with crushing win

Siddal 64 Ince Rose Bridge 20

Siddal put the previous week’s disappointment firmly behind them with a scintillating 11-try performance which blew their visitors from Wigan away.

Siddal had an early scare when Ince appeared to score a try, but the referee adjudged the player had lost possession as he put the ball down.

The hosts wasted no time in capitalising, opening the scoring after five minutes when skipper Shaun Garrod fed a short pass to prop Ross White who broke the attempted tackle, drew the fullback and gave a return pass to Garrod who forced his way over despite the efforts of two Ince defenders. Gareth Blackburn added the first of 10 conversions from in front of the posts.

Siddal extended their lead on 12 minutes when Richard Lopag rounded his opposite number 30 metres from the line and after using wing partner Emerson Newburn as a foil ran on to score in the right hand corner. Blackburn added a great conversion to put Siddal 12-0 in front.

Hooker Craig Sanderson almost added try number three but dropped the ball over the line and Ince hit back with a controversial try for right winger Ryan Eccleston who appeared five yards offside as he chased a last tackle kick by stand off Chris Boylan. Boylan missed the goal attempt but Siddal’s lead had been cut to 12-4.

Siddal were looking threatening every time they had the ball in hand and in the 25th minute they added another try following another great pass by Garrod that stood the Ince defence up and allowed second row Mark Boothroyd to shoot through a gap.

Blackburn goaled to take Siddal out to 18-4 and three minutes later the hosts extended their lead. Danny Williams made the initial break down the right hand side and the move was carried on by Lopag who drew the fullback and gave an inside pass to the supporting Blackburn who outpaced the cover to score under the posts, Blackburn adding goal number four.

Ince reminded Siddal they were not making the numbers up with a second try to prop Martin Butler which Boylan converted to bring them back into the game at 24-10. However, on the stroke of half time Siddal scored an almost carbon copy of their previous try.

This time Garrod made the break from deep in his own 20 metre zone. Lopag backed up and fed Blackburn on his inside who again left the Ince defenders trailing as he scored under the sticks. Blackburn added the goal for a commanding 30-10 lead.

Siddal opened the second half strongly and within seven minutes had added two more tries to put the game firmly out of the reach.

First over was Blackburn who glided through a gap on the right to score, and then Danny Keane powered over from a great flat pass from Sanderson after Dan Patrice had made a great break to scatter the Ince defence.

Blackburn added one goal before prop Ross White showed great footwork to beat three Ince defenders and touch down next to the posts to give Blackburn another easy conversion.

Ince grabbed their third try through scrum half Keiran Eccleston, but Siddal were on fire and scored another two converted tries inside three minutes.

Left wing Jabe Dennis produced an audacious inside pass over his shoulder to put centre Patrice over before the outstanding Garrod broke once more and fed Patrice for a quickfire double.

Ince’s fiery prop David Holton forced his way over Siddal’s line to score a deserved try and Boylan added the goal for a scoreline of 58-20 to Siddal.

However, the home side were rampant and finished off with another Lopag try after a long, looping pass by player coach Gareth Greenwood created the space out wide.

Blackburn added goal number 10 from the touchline to complete a personal haul of 32 points and cap off a fine Siddal performance.