Siddal recover to post welcome win

Hull Dockers 22 Siddal 30

Siddal bounced back from last week’s disappointing loss with a deserved National Conference win over Hull Dockers which prevented the home side from completing a double.

Siddal continued their worrying trend of starting the game poorly and within five minutes were 10 points down.

Dockers’ first try came when a Shaun Garrod pass to the left on the halfway line was picked off by the home scrum half who ran unopposed to score under the posts. An easy conversion made it 6-0 and within two minutes Dockers were in again when weak defence on Siddal’s right allowed the centre to race to the left corner to score an unconverted try.

Siddal rallied and made inroads into the Dockers half via young props Danny Keane and Ross White. Halfbacks Garrod and Gareth Greenwood were moving the Dockers defence across the park and when the ball was swiftly moved to the right, centre Richard Lopag managed to squeeze over for a good try after 20 minutes.

Gavin Stead couldn’t convert from wide out but two minutes later the right winger was scoring a try himself after Garrod made a break down the left and provided the scoring pass.

A brilliant conversion from the touchline by the same player made it 10-10 before Stead completed the Siddal recovery on 25 minutes after he followed a half break by Dan Patrice and ran 50 yards to touch down wide out.

Stead missed the goal and just as the first half was coming to a close Dockers scored a converted try to go in at half time 16-14 up.

Siddal came out fired up and within two minutes of the restart loose forward Nicholas Smith touched down close to the posts and with Stead adding the goal Siddal were back in front.

The visitors were getting on top and their good work reaped dividends again when the ball was moved quickly by Garrod, Chris Brooke and Patrice to Stead who scored his third try in the left corner.

Stead’s conversion attempt failed but the lead had stretched to 24-16.

Dockers were visibly wilting and on the hour mark their defence was breached again. Substitute Tom Garratt ran deep into the Dockers 20 metre zone where Garrod picked up from acting half and beat a couple of defenders before handing on to Craig Sanderson who threw a great dummy toscore by the side of the posts. Stead added the goal.

The last 15 minutes saw Siddal give away several penalties but their defence was outstanding. However, it was broken in the 70th minute after what appeared to be a forward pass, the easy goal reduced the Siddal lead to eight points but Siddal held on to stay in touch with the leaders.