Siddal’s Greenwood keen on a final flourish

Coach Gareth Greenwoood has said it would be a “massive anti climax” if Siddal failed to book their Grand Final place against Myton tomorrow.

The Chevinedge side, who finished second on the National Conference ladder on points difference, are gunning for a fourth consecutive appearance in the amateur game’s showpiece occasion at Widnes’ Halton Stadium next weekend.

But they will have to do it the hard way against the Warriors after being edged out 18-12 by table toppers Wath Brow in Cumbria last weekend.

“It would be a massive anti climax now to end the season with a home defeat,” said Greenwood.

“We were so close last week, but in the end Wath Brow probably just about deserved the win.

“I’m not a believer in making excuses, but if someone asked me, I’d say we probably ran out of numbers up front a little bit.

“Jaymes Chapman broke his hand and young Joe Martin broke his ankle, which really affected the interchanges against a big, solid side.

“Tomorrow is going to be tough and there won’t be much in it; Myton are a decent team, who take things seriously, and you can tell they mean business.

“If we can get through this one I still fancy us in the final.

“It’s a nice big pitch at Widnes and we’ve got a young, athletic side who could do well on that kind of surface.”

Greenwood has numerous selection issues; key prop Scott Law’s involvement, which has now been complicated by his professional side Keighley’s return to pre-season training, chief among them.

Mark Boothroyd is expected to be available, while injured duo Oli Marns and Chris Brooke are both likely to figure if they can prove their fitness after facial fractures.

“We’re hoping Scott can play, because we’re light at prop; most sides have four specialists in that position, we’ve probably got two,” said Greenwood.

“We’ll see how Brooky and Oli go this week, but if they can get through a contact session okay then the chances are they’ll both be playing.”

The final piece in the jigsaw could be Greenwood’s older brother Lee, who coached the club to their last three final appearances before stepping aside this summer.

The former professional, who played Super League rugby for Halifax and London, has made sporadic appearances through the year but should be available this weekend.

“He’s played for us a few times at short notice and he’s obviously still a more than decent player,” said Greenwood.

Victoria Rangers 10

Siddal 10

Siddal’s second team were on the road again, their sixth away match on the trot this season.

The heavy conditions did not suit Siddal’s style of play and for most of the first half they were pinned back in their own half, Victoria Rangers scoring the only points with an unconverted try.

Things got worse after the break, with Rangers scoring another try and conversion for 10-0.

The Siddal boys then started to put their act together with centre Anthony Waite and Joe Wrigley sending David Heslop under the sticks, Shaun Challoner’s conversion cutting the deficit to 10-6.

Another try looked certain for Siddal’s winger Heslop but he was ruled offside by the referee.

With minutes remaining, Challoner beat two defenders to score in the corner and level the scores .

Hard grafting forward Shaun McCormack was best for Siddal, who play Thornhill in a top two clash at home this weekend.