Siddal slump to heavy home defeat

Siddal slipped to a very disappointing 31-12 home league defeat at the hands of Hull Dockers with a performance that was very much “after the Lord Mayor’s show” following their fine cup display against Keighley Cougars the week before.

There was no sign of what was to come as Siddal scored the opening try in their first possession.

Last week’s two try man of the match Shaun Garrod made the break from 40 yards out and provided a scoring pass to the supporting Nick Smith, who touched down close to the posts. Wing Gareth Blackburn added the conversion.

Siddal continued to press their opponents’ line without success but once the Dockers had established a foothold in the Siddal half for the first time they reduced the arrears with a try in the left corner to wing Paul Fletcher in the 12th minute. Chris Stephenson couldn’t add the goal but Dockers’ classy stand off was already showing signs he could find gaps in the Siddal defensive line.

Siddal were somewhat fortunate to increase their lead in the 22nd minute to 12-4 after wing Emerson Newburn scooped up a misplaced Dockers pass on the half way line and raced 50 metres to score to the right of the posts. Blackburn added a difficult conversion against the strong wind.

The home supporters were anticipating further points and Dockers’ cause was hit by an injury to Stephenson that forced him off for treatment. However, Siddal faded and conceded two converted tries in the closing minutes of the half to lose a lead they were never to regain.

On 36 minutes Siddal were caught in possession in their in goal area to concede a drop restart. They conceded a penalty under the posts for offside at the restart and Dockers capitalised three plays later with a simple try to Richard Dougal, who ran through some feeble defence by the posts.

Centre Craig Skelton add an easy conversion and three minutes later he was doing the same again after Dockers kept the ball alive on a last tackle with the Siddal defence expecting a kick instead. Three passes later wing Fletcher scored his second try in the corner. Skelton struck a fine goal from the touchline.

Two minutes into the second half Siddal fell further behind to an Andy Taylor try by the posts and with Skelton adding another two points Siddal faced an uphill struggle at 22-12 down.

The home side did raise their game for 20 minutes with Garrod threatening to create scores for fullback Scott Caley and Blackburn but the Dockers defence held firm.

On the hour Siddal bombed their best chance of getting back into the game when Smith galloped through but chose to pass rather than force his way over the line and the pass went to a Dockers player instead of Garrod.

The Hull side gained confidence from that moment and increased their lead in the 61st minute with a Stephenson penalty from 40 metres.

It got better for Dockers seven minutes later when Stephenson made a midfield break and then placed an inch perfect grubber to the right corner for Skelton to chase and score. Skelton converted and Stephenson finished the scoring in the 70th minute with a fine drop goal.