Siddal so close to toppling Old Boys

Strong: Pete Howard worked hard for Siddal A
Strong: Pete Howard worked hard for Siddal A

Hunslet Old Boys 14

Siddal A 12

(Premier Division)

SIDDAL were unfortunate to lose fullback Matthew Price in the third minute of the game when he fell awkwardly, twisting his knee.

The visitors should have taken the lead after Jack Holmes broke a tackle and sent Tony Sheard away.

He passed to Gav Marshall on the wing who couldn’t get a grip of the ball with the line at his mercy.

The deadlock was broken in the 14th minute when home stand-off, Luke O’Mally broke on the halfway line, he was well supported by second-row, Donny O’Conner who dived over, too far out for Jamie Fields to convert.

Siddal hit back immediatley and Sheard was just held short after being put through a gap by Chris Brooke.

The home side were under enormouse pressure and were forced to drop-out from under their own posts when Pete Howard put in a crunching tackle on Luke Raynor who had just defused a Brooke kick on the last.

From the resulting play, the ball was ran back towards the sticks and a quick play-the-ball saw Howard ghost in off a well timed Danny Marshall pass, Sheard adding the conversion.

That lead didn’t last too long, three minutes in fact, with Old Boys centre Sam Thorpe outpacing the flanks to score in the corner, Fields again missing the kick.

With five minutes of the first half remaining, Sheard had the chance to level the scores, having been awarded a penalty for another high shot, but sliced his attempt.

Straight from the restart Richard Casanove caught the ball in his own in goal and scattered three defenders on a charge that took him deep into Hunslet’s half but the momentum was lost as Siddal knocked on with the very next tackle.

The ugly side of Hunslet’s play came to the fore in the 49th minute when prop Fields took offence to a perfectly timed tackle and received a yellow card.

The next five minutes were very heated and Johnny Bradley also got off with a sin bin when he elbowed Casanove.

Callum Dinsdale went close to putting Siddal ahead when he followed the hard working Danny Williams but was held up near the line.

In the 61st minute a high kick was fumbled behind Siddal’s line and Fields, just returning from the sin-bin, touched down, Chris Boyce adding the two points.

Five minutes later Siddal were right back in it when Ash Huck caught the ball on the wing and dummied and danced his way through the defence to score a try out of nothing, Brooke tagging on the extras.

Siddal put in an almighty effort to clinch victory but the Hunslet defence stayed firm to deny the visitors any reward