Siddal sting Hornets in top-four showdown

Chris Brooke
Chris Brooke

Siddal 38 Wath Brow Hornets 12

Siddal are still in the hunt for the National Conference Premier Division league leaders’ trophy after a superb second half display saw off fellow title contenders Wath Brow Hornets at Chevinedge.

Half back Shaun Garrod was instrumental throughout, creating numerous openings for his teammates, and winger Gareth Blackburn scored a total of 22 points with a hat trick of tries and five goals.

Siddal didn’t waste much time; the first try came in the fourth minute after Garrod spotted a gap on the blind side and off loaded to centre Shaun Blackburn who put brother Gareth over in the corner. Gareth Blackburn added the conversion to give Siddal a 6-0 advantage.

In the 18th minute, Garrod made a half break to send half back partner Chris Brooke darting under the posts. Blackburn converted to give the home side a commanding 12-0 lead.

Wath Brow replied after stand off Karl Dixon managed to offload in the tackle and send full back Ryan Amor over. Centre Jason Connery added the extras to narrow the gap to 12-6 after 22 minutes.

Both sets of forwards worked hard, in particular Siddal’s Danny Keane, Danny Williams and Scott Law, who was making his first appearance since returning from Australia.

Just before half time, Connery added a penalty to make the score 12-8 at the interval.

Twelve minutes into the second period a neat kick over the Wath Brow defence by Brooke was gathered by Gareth Blackburn to touchdown for his second try.

Siddal were on a roll at this stage, and three minutes later Garrod released second rower Matt Batley through a gap to touch down. Blackburn converted to give the home side a 22-8 lead.

Wath Brow threatened the Siddal line on several occasions but solid tackling from skipper Nick Smith, Craig Sanderson and Oli Marns kept them out.

Eventually the Siddal line was broken when Connery weaved in for a try on the hour mark to narrow the gap to 22-12.

Siddal stepped up a gear, with Scott Caley, Richard Lopag and Zack McComb all taking the ball well into the Wath Brow half.

Youngster Joe Martin managed to cross for a try in the 71st minute after substantial pressure on the Wath Brow line. Blackburn superbly converted from the touchline to increase Siddal’s lead to 28-12.

With only four minutes remaining Martin and Andrew Fox combined well to send in Gareth Blackburn over for his hat trick. Again Blackburn converted from wide out.

Just before the final whistle, some quick hands from Caley and Lopag resulted in a try for winger Emerson Newburn.

Next week, Siddal entertain Oulton Raiders at Chevinedge. Due to the Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford the kick off will be 1pm.