Siddal storm into last eight

A storming second half performance swept Siddal through to the quarter finals of the Conference Challenge Cup following a 30-20 success over West Hull.

The second half show was a far cry from a stuttering first half performance that had handed West Hull the initiative. A mistake in the very first possession set the tone for Siddal who failed to complete most of their sets in the opening half. Wests capitalised immediately by kicking to the corner on the last play of their first set, where wing Chris Winn leapt high and knocked the ball back to his centre partner Lewis Jackson who scooped the ball up for an easy touchdown.

Despite the efforts of prop Liam Green and loose forward Oli Marns it was the visitors who stretched their lead after another Siddal error. A quick set of plays that had Siddal backpedalling culminated in Wests second row Tom Radley scooping the ball up from the final play and crossing the Siddal line under the posts without a hand being laid on him. Scrum half Ian Kerman added a simple conversion to increase Wests lead to 10-0 after 16 minutes.

Siddal responded eight minutes later when halfback Chris Brooke threw a great dummy to break the West Hull line 40 yards out, and he repeated the act to foil the fullback to score a great individual try under the posts, Brooke goalling his own try.

Siddal continued to make unforced errors and incur the wrath of the referee. Marns in particular was on the wrong side of the whistleblower, and it was on the back of a harsh penalty against him that allowed Wests to restore their ten point advantage, loose forward Ryan Morrow running unopposed under the posts and giving Kerman another easy conversion for a 16-6 half-time lead.

Siddal started the second half with more purpose. Forwards Luke Garnett, Danny Williams and debut boy Danny Keane began to make inroads into Wests territory and the backs began to click. Stand off Shaun Garrod made a great break and his pass to Gareth Blackburn enabled the latter to outpace the cover and score. Brooke added the goal.

Six minutes later Siddal were in again with powerful runner Williams breaking the defence after Wests had been penalised close to their line, Brooke adding another goal to put Siddal in the lead for the first time.

Fullback Scott Caley, who was outstanding all game, then fielded a deep kick and brought the ball back 50 yards before feeding centre Richard Lopag who drew the fullback and supplied a scoring pass for Williams, Brooke converting for a

24-16 lead.

Siddal produced another great try that covered almost the full length of the pitch. Marns started the move by breaking down the middle of the field. He offloaded to Garnett who sidestepped several Wests defenders before being hauled down a yard short of the line. Siddal moved the ball quickly to the left where Garrod fed debutant Connor Clayton who stepped inside the last defender for the try. Brooke goaled again to take Siddal out to a match winning 30-16 lead.

West Hull completed the scoring on 79 minutes following a last play kick to the far right corner which bounced fortuitously into the hands of centre Jack Ridsdill to score the try.

Other score: Bradford Dudley Hill 28, Ovenden 16