Stags’ charge too much for Wibsey

Stainland Stags 66

Wibsey A 24

(Division Four)

STAINLAND’S young side go from strength to strength, powering to the top of the league with a display of skill and desire.

Wibsey scored first before Tom Williams knocked off two players on a touch line run before charging over the fullback to make it 4-6.

Good work from new player Joe Dyson enabled Shaun Whiteley to edge Stags in front but Wibsey scored two quick tries with some entertaining play to lead 16-8.

Josh Naylor cut the deficit to four points with a great try from a planned move but Wibsey produced a flowing move to make it 12-20.

The gap was down to two points when Sam Oddy converted a try from Steve Budworth, after good work from Dyson and Jake Bottomley, and Stags hit the front when Williams beat the fullback to the ball after a kick.

Stainland’s superior fitness and a few stern words from coach Jamie Bloem at half-time did the trick and Stainland took charge.

Captain Paul Davies barged over and Oddy goaled for 28-20.

Another new signing, Richard Doyne, showed power before rounding the fullback to touch down, Oddy converting.

Matty Bland scored from long range but Wibsey took advantage of a defensive lapse to pull back to 38-24.

Budworth scored his second after strong work from Dyson and Doyne and Williams completed a hat-trick, Oddy adding both goals.

Doyne was next to touch down, 16-year-old Jake Williams flew down the wing to score and loose forward Jack Brown strolled in from 40 yards following Dyson’s fine break, Oddy adding two more conversions.

King Cross Park 0

Keighley 68


Park’s first game at their new home at Calderdale College will not be one they care to remember.

They produced a very disappointing show against a strong Keighley side.

Park played down the slope in the first half and were unlucky not to score when Lee Gleeson and Nathan Raynor created an opening for John Wade, but he was adjudged not to have grounded the ball correctly.

Keighley scored two well executed tries before Wade had another try disallowed after good work by Jack White and Aiden Dewhirst.

Park were camped on the Keighley try line but could not force their way over. On the final tackle, a speculative pass was intercepted and the away team extended their lead.

Matthew Brown was sent clear by a good reverse pass by Luke Hand, but he was tackled inches short of the line. Park switched play to the other side of the field where Aiden Dewhirst dived over the whitewash, but was adjudged to have put a foot in touch.

Again the visitors replied strongly with two more well taken tries to give them a 20-0 half time lead.

It was all one-way traffic in the second half, Alex Wood, Daniel Humphreys and Aaron Brown put in some hard work in defence, but it was all in vain as Keighley romped to a well earned victory.